Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Pointing to C:\ServerPool\... in M3

edited July 2011 in DrivePool
I've just had an interesting support session with someone who upgraded from M2 to M3 and had a folder disappear with lots of data.

Suffice it to say, everything was still there, DrivePool was just not mounting that folder properly and I thought I'd share with everyone why.

If you were pointing an external app to C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders\... in M2 and have upgraded to M3 then I suggest you re-point that app to C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.Mount\...

The problem happened because that app had created a new folder by itself, without asking the user. C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders\ is now managed by DrivePool in M3, and DrivePool will create / delete / share folders under this directory automatically. So in theory everything would be ok if the app didn't create directories, but since it did, DrivePool couldn't create its own directory because a directory with the same name already existed and so the Dashboard didn't see that particular folder.

The point:

Point external apps to C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.Mount\ if you have to.

Comments

• edited August 2011 Member
    I use CrashPlan to back stuff up to CrashPlan Online.  I was looking for a way to have CrashPlan find pooled data and stumbled across the  C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.Mount directory.  Is it cool to use this directory or is it frowned upon?   At the moment I have created a directory on a data drive with links pointing to my pooled data.  
    mklink /D d:\CrashPlan\Music \\SERVER\Pool\Music

CrashPlan is successfully backing up from these.  I'm not sure the best way to go about it.  Should ServerPool be considered an off limits 'system' folder and/or are the links causing unnecessary network traffic?  More of unix/linux/mac guy and not up on windows as a server.
  • Since all crashplan is doing is READING from the shares, there shouldn't be a problem with pointing directly to the c:\serverpool\serverfolders.mount\<share> directories.  The problem mentioned above by Alex was when applications were WRITING directly to the share folders.
  • edited August 2011 Member

Right, but since this is a new server and a beta product, I want to make sure that I'm making the right choices in accessing my pooled data.  If the ServerPool directories are here for good then that's great.  I have no idea how windows is resolving paths when I link to a network share on a local machine.  I tend to think that it's accessing the disk directly, but I have no proof of that.

It was just a question on how the ServerPool directories should be treated.  Hands-on or hands-off.

• Resident Guru
    As noted by Alex, if your app doesn't like shares and needs to point to a disk, use the C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.Mount\ path. Do not confuse this with C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders\