Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Access to pool freezes when using MCM

edited October 2011 in DrivePool
I have encountered a situation where access to the pool seems to "freeze" and the only solution appears to be a reboot, but when rebooting the server it gets stuck in the boot sequence and you have to manually hard shutdown and restart the boot whereupon everything works fine again.

This seems to be repeatable, but I'm not certain it's related to drive pool, so before submitting info I thought I'd share and see if anyone was doing same things and not having trouble.

Essentially, this occurs when using Media Center Master (MCM) on the server (which is set to access the network shares using SMB rather than via the ServerPool folder) to automatically process downloads. When MCM gets to the point of moving the file from the downloads folder to the Videos share, it throws an error saying that the file can't be accessed or is in use. (The downloads share is not duplicated, so can rule that out).

Once this has happened, MCM crashes and it ceases to be possible to access the shares, and when I reboot the server to bring it back to life, it seems to just get stuck mid-boot. I have left it several hours and it never comes up fully unless you hard reset. 

Looking in the drivepool logs, there seem to be lots of lines like these appearing repeatedly although I don't know if they are describing the problem itself.

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [CoveWhsFsOperations] CreateFile - File not found (\MY DOWNLOADS.1\uTorrent\New Downloads\Whatever downloaded file is.mkv.!ut) 2011-10-14 18:58:50Z

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [CoveWhsFs] File exists. 2011-10-14 18:58:32Z 363979404776

DrivePool.Service.exe Warning 0 [CoveWhsFsOperations] GetFileSecurity - Error 0xC0000022 (type=, , , len=512, desiredAccess=00100081) 2011-10-14 18:58:23Z 363954694554

But there is nothing with the appropriate date/time in the filename in the drivepool error reports folder.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Does your issue resemble this? http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3006 (this could maybe help Alex fix the problem if there is one to fix

I had that problem with older releases of DP but it was fixed eventually. I have stopped using MCM for over 2 months now since i came across TheRenamer which is totally free and does the download Parser part of MCM for free. It works just great with DP so far.
  • I'm not sure that it is the same as that issue - when I have a problem it totally locks up access to the pool, including via Windows Explorer etc. 

I have tried the suggestion in that thread to move the folder being used off the pool and have confirmed that doing so means the issue does not arise. I will use it like that for now.
  • Saw this old thread, and well, it applies so I'm posting here.

I'm seeing the same problem.  Using the latest beta (but also happens with other versions) and the drivepool will freeze and all shares and drives become inaccessible via the pool service.

First, I'd like to know what i can submit to help fix the issue.  Secondly how can I reset this without a hard reboot?

Simply reading/writing data to the pool shouldn't cause it to freeze up so moving folders off the pool is not a solution :)
  • edited January 2013 Resident Guru
    Just checking, is your problem also with MCM or a different program?

Re resetting without a hard reboot, does stopping the StableBit DrivePool (SBDP) service, closing MCM, then restarting the SBDP service work? Or closing MCM then stop/starting the SBDP service?