Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can I assign/change the default shared folders into pool?

edited April 2011 in DrivePool

The situation is that I would like to use Chinese as shared folder name. Usually all my files should be stored in pool, it means I get to disable all system  default shared folders or rename them and assign them into pool. Can I do that?

The second thing is that I will install WSUS 3.0 on the WHS Server to make 6 Windows PCs upgrading fast, but WSUS will create 3 new shared folders, I want to assign them into pool as well.

Comments

• Covecube
    Unicode folder names should not be a problem.

Automatically moving the default shared folders to the pool is not in the current BETA. You can of course manually move their contents to the pool. This will be added before the 1.0 release.

I'm not familiar with WSUS requirements off the top of my head, but you have 2 options. If you can direct WSUS to use existing shared folders that you pre-create on the pool, then WSUS will use the pool. If you can direct WSUS to create its shared folders in C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders then they would be placed on the pool.
  • Current Beta has a Dashboard tab for Stablebit and a tab for Windows folders and drives. Seems to me that MS has tasked others to take on the challenge of drive pooling and that they may cooperate once your software is near completion to make the pool seemless to the interface. Meaning that once the add-in is installed that possibly the Windows tab in Dashboard can carry out the Stablebit functions. Is this too lofty of a goal or wish out of MS Home Server development Team?

• Covecube

Current Beta has a Dashboard tab for Stablebit and a tab for Windows folders and drives. Seems to me that MS has tasked others to take on the challenge of drive pooling and that they may cooperate once your software is near completion to make the pool seemless to the interface. Meaning that once the add-in is installed that possibly the Windows tab in Dashboard can carry out the Stablebit functions. Is this too lofty of a goal or wish out of MS Home Server development Team?

Even in the current SDK there is a way to add tasks and new tabs to the built-in interface. We're definitely interested in this. However, it has to be complete. In other words it can't be a half-working interface with things missing. We've examined this problem throughly and decided that there are certain things that we would need that are not there. They are small things, but it would be a crutch. As it is right now, we just don't want to deal with the SDK's built-in limitations. I imagine that once we get closer to release there will be an effort to more closely integrate DrivePool into the WHS built-in interface.