It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.
The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com
If you already have an account on this forum, then you can use your existing username and password to sign into the new forum.
The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.
This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.
We are running WHS 2011 SP1 with Stablebit Drivepool 1.3.7541. There have been occasional backup file corruptions since we moved from V1 to 2011.On 4/10 backups on all clients started to fail. I tried restarting the service and cold reboots to no avail. I followed the recommended steps on the Microsoft Tech site (repair tool, chkdsk...) none helped. The tech site did indicate that corrupted files can prevent the service from running backups. So, looked through the logs and found that the service was failing due to an unexpected EOF on H:/ServerFolders\Client Backups\Commit.dat. (H: is the drivepool) These errors started showing in the log on 4/8, the day after I installed the latest version of DrivePool (1.3.7541). I tried to look at Commit.dat and found a 0K file. So, I copied to another folder and deleted the original, hoping that WHS would rebuild on a reboot. The fix appears to have worked, because now the file is 5K and after running the Backup Repair Tool again, the service is working.
At first I did not make any connection with the last update of Drivepool and the service failure. However, there have been no other changes that would explain the problem. I did searches on the internet and here at Covecube. The only reference is from dslabbekoorn where he lost files. I am pleased the service is running again. Manual backups completed and now I am waiting for the daily cycle to complete. I would be grateful if someone could provide some insight. Deleting control files is a pretty crude way to fix a service.