Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Pricing?

edited October 2011 in DrivePool

I'm currently beta testing Drive Bender, but it's currently not working properly for me. I'm able to purchase the cheaper pre-release version for $20, but wondering if StableBit drivepool would be a better product - the interface looks better, and the performance improvements for reading duplicated files sounds good. If I was flush with cash, I'd buy DriveBender and then perhaps buy DrivePool when it's for sale. But I'm not.

Has anyone got any idea how much DrivePool might cost? If it works, I'd happily pay $20, but much more would be difficult to get past my financial controller (ok, she's not that bad, but you know what it's like! She'd rather feed the kids!!).

Comments

• Stablebit Scanner is $25.  So I would guess that drivepool will be in the same price range maybe a little higher.

PS) I tried drive bender but found it got less stable towards RC1.  I've been running drive pool for a few weeks and I find it much simpler in implementation.  We've had some hickups with M3.5 but Alex has jumped on the issues and I think now he's got them all resolved again.  Drive bender fixes seemed to cause more issue than they fixed.
  • edited October 2011 Member
    I'm in the same boat with you. I use drive bender for the first time on rc1 (paid $20) but a bit confusing at first. Stablebit is more straight forward and I can use it right away and very simple!. +1 for stablebit

• I agree - Every time I try drive bender I end up immediately uninstalling it.   It's nowhere near a straight forward as drivepool.   About to take the plunge and purchase stablebit scanner (though it's like buying something that tells me I need to buy more stuff! :) ) and will do the same as soon as drivepool is up for sale.   Alex's stuff is top notch.
  • Just wanted to add that it looks like I've resolved the problem with DriveBender (getting stuck on files where no-one has permissions). As I've got no idea how much StableBit Drivepool is going to be, I guess I'll be buying DriveBender at the 'discount' price. Just need to check that it's going to work with MyMovies first.
  • DriveBender has also had a new interface, which is a lot better.
  • Covecube
    Exact pricing is not set but it will be in the range of the Scanner. It will not be more expensive.
  • If this has been answered somewhere else I apologize but I couldn't find it.  What is the process for moving from the Beta to release once it is purchased? (I know its not out yet).  I have been holding off rolling out my new home server 2011 because I want a Drive Extender software of some form.  

If the Beta is stable enough and moving to release is no issue I may roll out my server sooner.

Any input is appreciated. 
  • Resident Guru
    If this has been answered somewhere else I apologize but I couldn't find it.  What is the process for moving from the Beta to release once it is purchased? (I know its not out yet).  I have been holding off rolling out my new home server 2011 because I want a Drive Extender software of some form.  

If the Beta is stable enough and moving to release is no issue I may roll out my server sooner.

Any input is appreciated. 
    I was in the same boat as you and i decided to go for it and i have been using it full time since juin without any hiccups...imo its very stable for everyday use in its current state. I have all my data (4TB+) on it and havent had any issues. I dont use duplication since i have Flexraid for redundency and my XBMC box has no problems with MKVs(720p) or AVIs that are running off it
  • edited October 2011 Covecube
    We always strive to maintain forward compatibility from BETA to BETA. In cases where people have had problems in the past, technical support was available @ stablebit.com.

As for stability, I can tell you this. We are absolutely committed to providing a first class pooling solution for WHS 2011. It's not there yet.

Based on the support requests that I get, I can see that it works perfectly for some people (perhaps most, since people mostly contact me for help). But there are still a number of issues that need to be addressed. Some of these issues are affecting some people and not others, and some are just very rare. At least, that's the impression that I have.

I am aware of these issues and am taking a long-road approach... That is, instead of addressing each individual rare issue, we want to make changes to the code that will get rid of the possibility of having such issues.

I can tell you that M3, while not perfect, has been very educational and as a result has inspired some architectural changes coming in M4 and beyond.

We will not settle for anything less than a solution that works well, but at this point we're still calling it a BETA, because we don't want to inspire false confidence in a product that's still in development.

One thing that we're thinking about is lifting the 30 day limit and making M3 available for free for an extended period of time.
  • Thanks for the replies Alex and saitoh183, they have been very helpful.  I think I will at least wait for M4 to be released. 

Alex, one last questions.  When the final product is released, will I be able to just upgrade the beta to release?  Or will it require a pool format of some kind?  Of all the Drive Pool options Stablebit is by far the most promising to me.

Thanks for all the hard work.  I cant wait for release.
  • Covecube
    No formats, no way :)

Full forward compatibility will be provided BETA -> Final.

Any issues will be addressed through the standard support channel.