Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Migrated folders and new folders have different path

edited January 2012 in DrivePool
I noticed that after I migrated from M3 to M4 the folders that existed already were moved to I:/Videos, I:/Downloads, etc. (I: is the pool drive)  If I try to create a new folder using the "Server Folders and Hard Drives" it creates it in I:/ServerPool/Whatever.  I actually like it off the root of the pool drive, I think that's cleaner.

As a side note - in the "Server Folders and Hard Drives", there are 2 options: "Add a Folder" and "Add a Folder to the Pool".  They both create a new folder in the I:/ServerPool directory.  Looks a bit redundant (or a mistake - maybe Add a Folder should be back on the C drive and Add to the Pool on the I drive)

Comments

• I second locus123 on this one.

This way, it is clear that folders under ServerFolders are managed by WHS2011.
    Migrated folders should also go under ServerFolders on the pool drive.
  • I'm having this exact same issue! (Well, exactly that same if you typo'd "ServerPool" and meant "ServerFolders")  Really annoying for nothing but consistency's sake!  I too would prefer to to be at the root (not under an arbitrary "ServerFolders" folder), but either way they should be the same.

Has everyones migration done this?  Or is this a more isolated issue?
  • The whole virtual pool drive is managed by DP. Moving the shares into ServerFolders like before might make more people prone to adding other folders the the pooldrive manually. On all physical drives you can add folders outside of the ServerFolders and
    PoolPartXXXX folders to store stuff outside of the pool. On the virtual pool drive I suspect that is not a very good idea. 

Just leave the virtual drive alone :) What the folders are called and where they are located should not matter since you are not to use the drive for anything outside of the folders already there.

I for one really liked that ServerFolders were gone, since it's quite obvious they are server folders since nothing else can be on the drive.
  • Another vote for dropping the pooled folders directly onto the root drive rather than in a 'serverfolders' directory, but I think that the key thing is to maintain consistancy and put them in the same place no matter how you do it (migration, moving, and creation).

It seems superflouous to have a 'serverfolders' folder, and just increases the filename length.

• OK.  It's a matter of "taste" - both are valid in some way.
    Why can't we just get the choice where to put our folders ? 
  • Just leave the virtual drive alone :) What the folders are called and where they are located should not matter since you are not to use the drive for anything outside of the folders already there.
    Say again?  It does matter what they folders are called if the migrated folders are (K is my virtual drive):
    K:Videos
    K:Pictures
    K:Etc

And then new folders created (via the console - not manually) are:
    K:ServerFolders\New Folder
    K:ServerFolders\Another Folder

Thus altogether it looks like:
    K:Etc
    K:Pictures
    K:ServerFolders\Another Folder

K:ServerFolders\New Folder
    K:Videos
    I for one really liked that ServerFolders were gone, since it's quite obvious they are server folders since nothing else can be on the drive.
    Exactly.  But new folders created after migration from M3 to M4 are not done like that.  I like the fact that an abitrary folder level is gone as well.  But when you make a new folder in the console it needs to follow the same system!
  • What is the status on this one ?

It looks like "ServerFolders" prefix still rules (5843/45)

Please advise