Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Scanner trashed my disk?

edited May 2012 in Scanner

I ran Scanner on my new Hitachi disk, and was horrified to discover after the scan that SMART was showing 3 bad sectors and 16 pending bad sectors. Before the scan there were no SMART errors on the disk. So what happened? Did the Scanner find previously undiagnosed problems, or did running the Scanner cause the problems?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    The former. SMART doesn't go looking for errors, it only reports them when they are found (e.g. when you go to boot windows or open a document). Scanner goes looking and brings SMART along for the ride, similar to what the test programs provided by some HDD manufacturers do (though Scanner has more features and can run in the background while Windows is running).

The silver lining is that you found out via Scanner and the disk is brand new and still in warranty, rather than via some mission-critical database failing to load and/or the disk being out of warranty.

That's good to know! I wonder what proportion of new disks would show problems if tested in this way?