Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Disappearing files!!

edited March 2013 in DrivePool
An issue has just started happening recently  where files that are in Drivepool randomly disappear. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. One day I'm working on something and the next it has gone. It's not happening with all files but it seems to happen to the same ones continuously even after I restore them from backup (very lucky to have them backed up!!!!)

Any suggestions? I need to sort this ASAP before I lose something very important.

Thanks

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Which version of Windows and which version of DrivePool are you using? Have you installed or started using any other software at about the same time?
  • Which version of Windows and which version of DrivePool are you using? Have you installed or started using any other software at about the same time?
    Windows Home Server 2011 with the latest version of drivepool (I don't have the version number to hand a the moment but I updated it about 2 days ago).

No, I didn't install any software around the same time.

Cheers
  • edited March 2013 Resident Guru
    I'm running the same version. You mention it's not happening to all files; what's particular about the affected ones (path, size, extension, program being used to do work on them)?

For bugs in DrivePool and DrivePool/some-other-program conflicts, you can use http://stablebit.com/contact to file a bug/conflict report. If a solution doesn't immediately present itself, you might be asked to turn on tracing (Dashboard, Server Settings, DrivePool) for when the problem next occurs - http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection
  • I'm running the same version. You mention it's not happening to all files; what's particular about the affected ones (path, size, extension, program being used to do work on them)?

For bugs in DrivePool and DrivePool/some-other-program conflicts, you can use http://stablebit.com/contact to file a bug/conflict report. If a solution doesn't immediately present itself, you might be asked to turn on tracing (Dashboard, Server Settings, DrivePool) for when the problem next occurs - http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection
    It seems to be Adobe Premiere and Encore files which are deleting themselves.Both a couple of MBs.

Thanks
  • Resident Guru
    You might try reverting back to the previous DrivePool version you were using (especially if the problem started around the same time), and if the problem goes away, that pretty much clinches a bug/conflict and you can contact Stablebit with that information to get it fixed.
  • I've got a similar but maybe bigger big problem - Stablebit Drivepool service just reported as stopped and we lost a heap of drives.  Trouble is if I go to Services on the Control panel it is listed as still working.  Restarting the service yields nothing.  The data is still there but without the service running we're toasted.  Trouble is before I realised the service wasn't started I asked WHS to recover the missing folders, and it created Videos and Music with no files in them.  So not sure If i made things worse...I've attached some files to show the situation.  Help!

I've reported it on the site but the WWW page just sat there after I hit Send and I'm not sure if anything got through.  I'm using WHS2011 (Fully updated) and just updated drivepool from 1.1.0.6326 to 1.3.1.7541

If i re install the old one will it help?
    if i uninstall and re install does it get messy or will all my drives/folders be rediscovered?

Crowey
  • More Information:  below are 2 Event report properties related to DP failure:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        StableBit DrivePool Service
    Date:          14/04/2013 12:48:18 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2013_04_13-06_48_18.2.saencryptedreport

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
       at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
       at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='StableBit DrivePool Service'/><EventID Qualifiers='0'>0</EventID><Level>2</Level><Task>0</Task><Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2013-04-13T14:48:18.000000000Z'/><EventRecordID>80069</EventRecordID><Channel>Application</Channel><Computer>SERVER</Computer><Security/></System><EventData><Data>Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2013_04_13-06_48_18.2.saencryptedreport

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
       at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
       at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )
    </Data></EventData></Event>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd event
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        StableBit DrivePool Service
    Date:          14/04/2013 12:48:18 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2013_04_13-06_48_17.9.saencryptedreport

Exception:

System.IO.IOException: Can't open control handle to pool.
       at ..()
       at ...()
       at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction)

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event'><System><Provider Name='StableBit DrivePool Service'/><EventID Qualifiers='0'>0</EventID><Level>2</Level><Task>0</Task><Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords><TimeCreated SystemTime='2013-04-13T14:48:18.000000000Z'/><EventRecordID>80068</EventRecordID><Channel>Application</Channel><Computer>SERVER</Computer><Security/></System><EventData><Data>Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2013_04_13-06_48_17.9.saencryptedreport

Exception:

System.IO.IOException: Can't open control handle to pool.
       at ..()
       at ...()
       at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction)
    </Data></EventData></Event>
  • Covecube
    Yeah, I was intermittently gettign that with v2.0.225, actually. 
    Uninstalling DrivePool, clearing it's "C:\ProgramData\StableBit\DrivePool" folder, and reinstalling seemed to fix it for me, though.
  • Any danger of losing data or having to drag it all out of the Drivepool folders?  I'm worried that I went and tried to recover the missing drives (videos and Music I think) before I realised that Drivepool had crashed - do you think I'll jeopardise the data in that drive?
  • Covecube
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled DrivePool a bunch of times. No issues, everything appeared fine.

If you still have the issue, uninstall drive pool, clear out the contents of "C:\ProgramData\StableBit DrivePool" and reinstall.  You'll lose some settings (like some of the balancer settings, and the license/activation info, so you may want to deactivate first), but the actual pool should be fine.