Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Drive going bad. Need to replace it. How to do it?

edited March 2013 in DrivePool
I have 2 1tb drives in a pool with duplication turned on.  How do I go about replacing one of the drives without losing date?  I'm using DP 2 running in 2012 Essentials.  My OS runs on a SSD so it's not part of the pool.

Comments

• edited March 2013 Resident Guru
    Hi Chuck, best way is to add the new drive to the pool, then click "Remove" on the bad drive in the DrivePool interface and follow any prompts/warnings.

If you don't have any way to add the new drive first, proceed with Removing the bad drive; because you had duplication enabled, you should still end up with all of your data on the remaining good drive and you can then add the new drive.

P.S. I might suggest first updating to the very latest version, 2.0.0.220 BETA has just come out with several improvements.
    Thanks, Shane!  I'll add the new drive to the pool and then remove the dying drive.
  • edited April 2013 Member
    Yup that's the way to do it, pretty easy just takes a long time.   If you don't have a spare sata connection to add your new drive, you can always buy an inexpensive USB to SATA adapter on eBay to use as a temp connection. 
    Can you add a new drive this way if the drive is your C drive - with 
  • Covecube
    @Edge: If the drive that is going bad is your system disk, you're in a pickle.

If any part of the pool is on the system disk...  to replace the system disk, you'll either need to reinstall (not a good option with 2012 Essentials), or use Windows Server Backup to recover to a new disk. If the pool part that is on the system disk has been backed up too, you'll be fine.  Otherwise, it will lose that part if the original system disk isn't attached anymore.
    I am in a pickle.  Decided to reload WHS11 to a good drive.  disconnected my other 3 drives to ensure nothing happened to them.  Now I have WHS up and running, but I can't reinstall my drive pool or scanner add ins.  Also can't get 'permission' to view my server folders.  All drives seem to be good and data is on them, I just can view them.
    Also, in my newly install WHS version I can't see the previous back-ups - so I can't regain connections that way either.