Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Problem removing discs from pool latest release V13005734

edited April 2013 in DrivePool

trying to remove four drives from my ten pool drive so I can add some new 3tb units

removed one drive fine but three others will go through the motion and then I get drive remove failure access denied

any ideas what im doing wrong please

Comments

• Covecube
    My guess is that there is some error on the disk (either actual error, or an errant security permissions) that is preventing it.

Worst case, you could move the data onto a different disk manually, and then just pull the disk.
  • Resident Guru
    Hmm, I guessing that's meant to be 1.3.0.7534? There's actually just been (as in yesterday) a new v1 release, 1.3.1.7541, fwiw.

I'd lean towards Drashna's guess too. Try running Scanner (or other utility or the chkdsk command) on the drives?
  • I have the same kind of problems the drive removal side of drivepool seems to be very temperamental tho I did notice the more data on the drive the more likely it will fail to remove normally once you have tried it 2 or 3 times it does work.

It we get these problems because of Drashna's point I think it still needs a good look at I would imagine the only time most of us will want I pull a drive is when it's on it's way out and that should process should be seamless to protect data.

But the drives I wanted to replace
    We're fine I were fine I was just upgrade the capacity like AMcross
  • was running version 1.3.0.7534

downloaded the latest version that allowed me remove another drive  :-)

has a 14tb pool not more than 5tb of data so plenty of space to remove drives I want to replace

then tried to remove another three two which have very little data on them and get an error again

• edited April 2013 Member

have now managed to remove all drives

very time consuming with two or three attempts

Quick question should drives once removed be cleared of folders etc ?

• edited April 2013 Resident Guru
    They should be, although DrivePool will leave behind data that it could not remove (they should still have been copied into the pool's remaining drives if they weren't corrupt due to disk damage or the like, and if duplication was enabled the duplicate on a good drive would be used).

Any non-pool data will also remain.