Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Beta M3 - First observations

edited July 2011 in DrivePool

Hi Alex,

Installed M3 (clean install) and played around with it, moving files around, removing a drive, trying to break it ;) etc. all that looks pretty solid to me, great work!

I did run into problems however and have some remarks:

1. It's not to very clear how to move an existing folder to the pool, I would have expected a wizard started from the context menu.

2. Previous NTFS right from a folder are gone after moving, have to set them manually (could be covered in the above mentioned wizard)

3. After moving the default music folder the media library on the remote access page is empty (or maybe it needs time to re-populate?) the music folder in 'shared folders' does point to the correct location.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Danee

Comments

Regarding number 3: I rebooted and waited some more and the music appeared in the Media Library on the Remote Access website! So it does pick it up again.

Maybe trigger some service stop/start when moving any folder that is available in the Media Library would fix that 'automaticly'.

Cheers,

Danee

• Yep, On Point 1 i certainly agree. I still have no idea how to move the default folders into the pool.

:(

I really wanna use Drivepool on my server as opposed to Drive Bender. But currently Drive Bender seems to have taken over on the functionality stakes.So here's hoping that a wizard is added soon or at the very least a comprehensive readme is added.

Here is how it works now:

Right click on the folder you want to move (be sure to be in the Stablebit Drivepool tab in the dashboard!) and select 'View the folder properties'.
    Now open the 'Location' tab and you can select the location you desire, on this tab you can also enable/disable duplication, press apply to aknowledge your changes and head over to the 'Permissions' tab to set your desired access rights.

Cheers,

Danee

• Ah, Thank you... I will have a look :)
  • I agree that it isn't obvious as to how to move the folders - possibly also use some colour/icon differentiation to show which folders are in the drive pool and which are in the pool and duplicated? B-)
  • Wow, it's getting closer...I am getting goose bumps.
  • edited July 2011 Covecube

Hi Alex,

Installed M3 (clean install) and played around with it, moving files around, removing a drive, trying to break it ;) etc. all that looks pretty solid to me, great work!
    I did run into problems however and have some remarks:
    1. It's not to very clear how to move an existing folder to the pool, I would have expected a wizard started from the context menu.
    2. Previous NTFS right from a folder are gone after moving, have to set them manually (could be covered in the above mentioned wizard)
    3. After moving the default music folder the media library on the remote access page is empty (or maybe it needs time to re-populate?) the music folder in 'shared folders' does point to the correct location.
    Keep up the good work!
    Cheers,
    Danee
    1. Good point, wizard is coming :)
    2. Bug. That shouldn't happen. Will be fixed.
    3. Right. Thanks for reporting. Maybe something needs to be notified of the change. (I wish I could talk to the guys who wrote that)
    Thanks for the update.

I will be in the forums more than usual going forward. It'll be all about fixing issues.
    @3, earlier I ran into troubles with the media library when testing dvblink 3 on my whs, the media library seems not to be a seperate service that can be easily stopped and started, mayby it can be triggered by stopping and starting IIS.

In all, I'm very happy with this new release!
    Found that if I make a share in DP and I give it a Description in the initial wizard it won't be saved. When I add a description via properties (rmb) it will be saved. After a reboot I missed about half the descriptions again.
  • I have successfully transferred most of my folders to DP. With the Pictures folder I am getting an error stating invalid parameters. I did have to recreate this folder at one point so this may be the cause but I am unsure.