Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

What antivirus program to use with WHS 2011 and DrivePool?

edited May 2013 in DrivePool
I am thinking of adding an antivirus program to my WHS 2011 server with DrivePool and Scanner.  What products are being successfully used?  Are any file or folder scan exclusions necessary? 

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

I use Eset NOD32 with success, both on the server and my laptop. Very happy with it. 
  • Same here, ESET NOD32.
  • Covecube
    You should exclude the drives in the pool, and you should definitely exclude the client backup folder. It gets false positives periodically, so you don't want the antivirus nuking part of your database accidently!
    Thanks for the input.  Sounds like Eset NOD32 is the recommended (only?) antivirus solution.

Just to make sure I understand the recommended exclusions; the physical drives making up the pool should be excluded, but not the DrivePool virtual drive itself.  Correct?  That would make sense to avoid a double scan of each file in the pool.

Excluding the backup database certainly makes sense to avoid potentially corrupting that.  Each of the backup clients should have antivirus running on them anyway.

Is anyone running MS Security Essentials?  Apparently there is a way to install that on WHS 2011 using a command line. But, there are issues with SQL databases mentioned on the Internet.  I don't use My Movies, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.  However, I wouldn't want to install MS Security Essentials if the cure is worse than the disease.
  • edited May 2013 Resident Guru
    Yes, include the DrivePool virtual drive, exclude the poolpart folders on the physical drives (if a physical drive is exclusively used by drivepool, you can simply exclude the entire physical drive).
    Just a final note, I ended up installing MS SE and it has been working without incident so far. I excluded the physical pool drives (but not the virtual pool drive), the client backup folder, and the client backup database file extensions. It updates daily and runs a quick scan.  Real-time protection is also enabled.