Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Change pool drive letter

edited May 2013 in DrivePool
Searched in the GUI and the forum, and I do not figure anything related to that.
In Windows drive management the control is greyed out.
How could I do that?

Additionally do you know if it is possible to reorganise the drive letters for the drives that belong to the pool?
Or even to remove them so that only the pool is visible...

Comments

• I'm new to drive pool as well.  These are also my only two questions as of now.
  • edited May 2013 Member

Nevermind....a little more research answered my questions. I added a drive that already had all of my data on it. I had to copy all of the data over to the pool.  Search is my friend.

• Covecube
    For the assigning drives to folders/so they're not visible:

If the Windows Disk Management, the "Change Drive letter" option is greyed out on the Pool disk, then you're only recourse is to just leave it, or use "diskpart" to manually change it. Diskpart is a powerful tool and can seriously screw up your system if you don't use it right.

Again, diskpart is an advanced tool, and I'd recommend against using it unless you're familiar with it. 

So to use DiskPart to change the letter, load an administrative command prompt.
    Once there, type "list disk" and find which drive is the drive pool (should be *exactly* 2048GBs)
    Type in "select disk ##", the "##" part being whatever number the drivePool "disk" actually is.
    Then type "select partition 1" (that should be universal, as there should only be one partition here)
    then type "Assign letter=X" where "X" is the letter you want the drive.

• edited May 2013 Member
    Thanks Drashna for the DISKPART thing.
    Regarding hiding the drive letters of drives member of the pool, I figured it out a little after (mount it in a folder instead of drive letter).

Edit: Diskpart gives me two partitions for Drivepool, the currently assigned one to a letter being partition 2 (see after).
    DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------  Partition 1    Reserved            32 MB    17 KB* Partition 2    Primary           2047 GB    32 MB
    DISKPART> detail partition
    Partition 2Type    : ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7Hidden  : NoRequired: NoAttrib  : 0000000000000000Offset in Bytes: 33571840
      Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------* Volume 8     H   DrivePool    NTFS   Partition   2047 GB  Healthy