Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

"Cannot retrieve WHS folders" error when moving or creating folders in pool.

edited August 2011 in DrivePool
I have M3 3703 installed a fresh install of WHS 2011 and every time I try to move one of the WHS default folders to the pool or create a new folder in the pool it fails with a "Cannot retrieve WHS folders" error.

Comments

• Tried again with 3785 and still have the issue.
  • I'm having the same problem. For me it happens whenever I open the dashboard, after say 2 minutes the dashboard will simply crash.
  • Try repairing the .net 4 framework on your server - I was having problems with the dashboard shutting down constantly, and the repair fixed it.
  • My Dashboard isn't crashing.
  • I have the same problem (using 3785).. but only with the folders "recorded tv" and "client computer backups".
    After trying to move both folders,, the "recorded tv" folder is marked as "missing"  in the standard "server folders" while the other is not. And what is even more strange... after having tried this for a few times, I now have an unmounted value of 100 mb in "hard drive pooling/System drive", that wasn't there before....

• Covecube
    The error "Cannot retrieve WHS folders" means that DrivePool is having trouble listing the folders that WHS sees. This is critical and many functions will not work if this continues.

• Covecube
    @votanXL: Doesn't sound like the same issue.

You might want to submit your error reports to stablebit.com.
  • Just installed M3 and got the same issue when trying to add folders. Folders show up after a restart... I use a german version of WHS2011. Maybe thats the problem.
  • I have just installed DrivePool today, and everything went very smoothly up until the point that I wanted to move folders into the DrivePool. Upon creating a new folder, or moving one of the default ones, I also get the error "Cannot retrieve WHS folders".

Not sure what to do, as I didn't really do any special configurations. I have also tried rebooting, but this doesn't fix the problem. Where can I go from here? I really don't want to spend another day rolling back to WHSv1...

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Just want to add my vote on this bug. Some folders I can move into the pool just fine. But others give the Cannot move folder. Cannot retrieve WHS folders.

First it moved all the data to the pool. Then all at the end (after all the data was moved) it started rolling back changes. When that was done the error was shown.

Using M3 build 4058
  • Covecube
    The "cannot retrieve WHS folders" error is caused by a 60 second timeout when DrivePool waits for WHS to give it its folders list. It's possible that this is happening on bogged down servers.

In the short-term, there will be a new .confing next to DrivePool.exe that will allow anyone to increase that timeout on systems where this is failing. I can't see increasing the timeout past 60 seconds globally being a good idea.

In the long-term we want to get rid of the dependency on WHS and move away from that model. To this end, the kernel driver is receiving an overhaul right now that will enable this and other more advanced functionality.
  • Covecube
    I've put up some documentation on the .config file that's now available in build 4070+,

People experiencing this error should try increasing the value of WhsCommand_TimeoutMS.

The wiki page documents the use of the file and how to enable it.
  • Puuh, I installed my WHS 2011 5-6 times on diffrent drives, but the problem "Cannot retrieve WHS folders" is still there. I hope the problem will be fixed on the next version.
  • Covecube
    Will definitely be fixed in M4. In fact, that whole process will be gone.
  • When are you expecting to release M4?