Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Moving from WHS V1

edited August 2011 in DrivePool
So I am planning a update from WHS V1. I see one of the features is "Add and remove any drive at any time, even with existing non-pooled data. Existing data is not modified." So.. could I just plugin my hard drives for the V1 pool? Would it pick up all my files and add them to the pool?

Comments

• Now that would be handy..
  • Resident Guru
    What it means is that if you plug in a drive - from WHS v1 or anywhere else - DrivePool will not delete any files that are already on the drive.

DrivePool does not automatically add your existing files to the pool. Unless/until someone creates an import wizard or plugin, that has to be done manually.
  • IMHO... You want to be the #1 drive pool replacement... Add the import HD from WHS1.. Would be pretty simple, compared to the rest of the drive pool work you are doing... But you would instantly convince a lot of people to upgrade to WHS 2011
  • True.

But during any beta its best to buy some external HD's (3TB's externals are quite cheap at present, or if you have the large drives the thermaltake X drive devices) and preserve your data just in case.

Its what I did.

After DP goes final they can be used for Server backup :).

• Covecube
    I have though about an "import" feature accepting multiple formats. You're right, it would be trivial to write. It could be done in a day.

But it's not a priority... work is getting done all the time that's more complicated and it's just of a higher priority than this.

I'm sure that once the client backups are working, folder moving is smooth as butter, and DrivePool flies at 100 MB/s we can implement all the little cool bells and whistles.