Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Missing disks in DrivePool

edited May 2011 in DrivePool
Update: The M2 BETA has built in facilities to deal with missing disks. This information is no longer relevant.

When a drive that was part of the pool gets disconnected or is damaged beyond recognition, the disk is marked as Missing.

A few people have asked how to correct this?

The answer is, in the current BETA build there is no functionality to correct for this. Eventually, there will be a Repair wizard that will scour the pool and make sure that every file that needs to be duplicated is duplicated, and it will allow you to permanently forget missing disks.

So what about the current BETA, is there anything that can be done about missing disks?

You can erase the DrivePool metadata and restart the StableBit DrivePool Service (not the Mount service). The metadata is located on the server in C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool\Service\Store. You should delete all the files from the Store folder.

After doing this, you should delete all duplicated pooled folders and start your testing from the beginning.

Note that if you do not remove the duplicated folders, some of the files in them will no longer be duplicated.

Will I loose files by doing this?

Yes. You will loose all non-duplicated files that were stored on the missing disk(s). Some of your duplicated files will get into an inconsistent state and will no longer be duplicated. This is a side-effect of this workaround and will not happen in the final.

What about the Final?

In the final version there will be an automatic wizard for this. It will take care of excluding the missing disks and regenerating duplicate files.

Comments

• i see 4 files. you mentioned:

"You can erase the DrivePool metadata and restart the StableBit DrivePool Service (not the Mount service). "

do i delete all 4? if not, which one?

00c12d95-f4cf-4478-baaf-4f3778a210eb
    26b9e93c-8a41-4513-9adb-a8e133033edb
    2471a0a4-5265-4383-b7b2-9660bd4c84bc
    a6e36abb-2888-4bc0-9f4c-b4f1e272124e

also, if i were to do these instructions, i assume i will be loosing all the files i have put in on the created folders?

thanks.

• Covecube
    i see 4 files. you mentioned:

"You can erase the DrivePool metadata and restart the StableBit DrivePool Service (not the Mount service). "

do i delete all 4? if not, which one?
    You delete all of them. Each file represents a disk in the pool, but they will be re-created automatically.

also, if i were to do these instructions, i assume i will be loosing all the files i have put in on the created folders?

thanks.

You will only loose the non-duplicated files that were on the missing disk.

However, because this is essentially a workaround until the repair wizard gets implemented, some of your duplicated files will get into an inconsistent state. Which means that they will no longer be duplicated. That's why it's recommended to delete all duplicated folders and start from scratch.