Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Drivepool and disk defragmenter

edited September 2011 in DrivePool
I just installed and configured my server the way i wanted and installed drivepool, my question now is if i install a disk defragmenter such as perfectdisk or diskeeper, will there conflict with drivepool in any way?

Comments

• no one can answer my question?
  • edited September 2011 Covecube
    I haven't tested these with DrivePool.

From a technical point of view, defragmenting a disk relies on a special API that lets the app determine the layout of a file on the disk and then to move parts of that file around.

DrivePool does not support (or require) disk defragmenting to optimize file placement.

You may (and perhaps should) defragment each disk in the pool separately. The files on the pool will be optimized that way.
  •  

You may (and perhaps should) defragment each disk in the pool separately. The files on the pool will be optimized that way.

I just use the stock defragmenter in Windows on the individual drives, scheduled once a week, about an hour before the automatic client backups start.  It's amazingly unremarkable and mundane, which is exactly what defragmenting is supposed to be.  =)