Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

R3808 - Physical drive volume name

edited September 2011 in DrivePool

When i navigate to Disk Management in WHS 2011 admin tools, some disks have a volume label  'New Volume' others don't.

Why is this? And is it detrimental to the drivepool?

All have been added by choosing the hidden disk option.

Comments

• Covecube
    Just checked the code and DrivePool assign an empty string when it adds a raw drive.

The volume label is purely cosmetic.
  • Is is possible to add a feature where DrivePool identifies the drives per volume name? - Or maybe add a "Drive Alias"

All my drives are identical and thus trying to identify which drive I am looking at is quite a task. For now I've enabled drive letters which allows me to track back to letter and then volume name (I've given my drives a volume name based on its physical location inside the case.)

The same is true for Scanner, there at least you can see the serial, but linking it back to which pool drive it is, is again quite a task. (I know this isn't the scanner forum, but I believe it to be relevant to my point)

• I agree showing the Drive label would be convenient.
  • Covecube
    The issue with showing drive label is that it's not set up explicitly anywhere. But I guess we can make it a hidden column.

Let me see if I can flip the switch on this...

Ok, volume label is now a column. It will be blank unless you set it up manually.
  • Great! Thank you!

And again a complement on how this software is developed and how the beta period is going and problems and questions are handled! Fantastic job you're doing!

Cheers,

Danee
  • Agreed Danee

One of the best I've seen.

Thanks!

• Volume Name column in the latest build, is very helpful!!!

Thanks.
  • THANKS @Alex!  The addition of this feature is awesome.  During the last OS load I did on my server, I purposefully added each drive one at a time and named the volume for the physical location of the disk.. Having this feature populate that column will allow for instant access to my drive - were one to fail..