Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

BUILD 3874 ventures into M3.5 territory

2»

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Yes, you'd have to be very careful that you remove the junction and not what it's pointing to (your entire pool!!!)
  • @ArthurHawkins

You should have been able to recover by manually resetting the permissions worst case as the data would have still been on on the drives in the hidden folders.

If you have not touched the data drives you can still recover.
  • I haven't done anything to the individual drives, but I back off working with the SSD load and went back to the original OS load that I had.. It is not picking up that share either.. I guess I need to assign some drive letters and go on the hunt..
  • Yep... Its screwed me up too.. 600+ folders of hi-def Movies. Not lost cos i can see them all after assigning drive letters to the pooled drives. But permission on the majority. But because dp even places empty folders on each pool part. Thats 8 drives @ 600+ Folders, for me to manually set permissions.Gonna be a fun week.
  • I upgraded this morning from 3808 to 3940 and I'm getting the permissions on some folders were reset to No Access for all users/trying to change permissions from folder properties in the DrivePool tab issues an "Access Denied" error. It appears that the NTFS permissions issues remain in the newest build.

I have 22 drives, so going through them individually would be quite the task. Is there another, quicker way to fix permissions so I can access my files again?
  • Try setting the Administrators group as the owner of each data drive and tick replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Then see if the latest Drivepool build can give you back access. If you still are getting access errors you can then replace all child permissions if needed from the root of each share so it does all the sub folders and files (Drivepool will have set the root permissions correctly).

Thats how I got around the 3874 access issues but there might be better ways of fixing it.
  • edited September 2011 Member
    @hopester

Well.. I had hoped that the data wasn't gone, but just had a chance to go and look through the hidden folders on the volumes and it did delete the files, so I guess I'm back to square one on that front.  Still not sure what happened..

On the current load where I am able to access my files - I have SBS Essentials running 3929..  All of my shares are accessible (minus the one that got deleted..)  I tried loading the system on an alternate OS drive - SSD - and by the time I had everything loaded up 3940 was the only binary available.. I installed it on the clean SSD OS load and went through the "foreign disk" validation.. none of the shares were showing up - so I rebooted the system.. still none of the shares showed up - at that point I probably should have just quit and submitted the logs and went back to my original OS drive, but I couldn't help "poking it with a stick".. I had seen the comment from Sean and thought that might correct the issue - apparently not in my case :( ..

Not really sure what happened between 3929 and 3940 but apparently it wasn't very nice to me.. I've got a backup of that 400GB offsite, but it is going to take a while to regenerate it.. Of course it would be a lot faster - or I assume it would be - if I was able to switch back to the SSD OS drive, but I still can't get the rest of the shares to mount on that load..

Hmmm.. just rebooted off the origianl OS load and tried to recreate the share and I am getting an access denied error.. not sure what would cause that, I checked on all the pooled drives and the share.1 folders are gone from all the drives..
  • Covecube
    There seems to be a bit of confusion about data loss here.

Just to clear that up, 3874 reset the permissions on the root directories holding the pooled folders. This had the side-effect of setting no access for some folders on the pool that were set to inherit those folders (which normally they're not).

So nothing is ever deleted. Worst case should be that you won't be able to access the folder because of an access denied.

Recognizing that some people were having issues, later builds ( currently 3940) allowed DrivePool folder properties to reset permissions (taking ownership and whatever it takes).

DrivePool will never delete anything automatically. You files are always accessible on the pooled drives even in the worst case.

----

Now Arthur had said that he lost 400GB.

I believe Arthur deleted files in C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders.Mount.

DO NOT DO THIS!

That is your pool. If you delete files from your pool... well you are deleting files from your pool.
  • edited September 2011 Covecube
    @tombstone:

Can you log into the server as Administrator and open an administrative command prompt (Start -> cmd, right click, run as administrator).

Switch to c:\serverpool\serverfolders.mount\

cd \serverpool\serverfolders.mount\

Do a dir.

Then type icacls [folder name]

Replace the folder name with the folder that you can't access. E.g. icacls Documents.2

Post the output.

Also, if anyone else is having access denied errors from the Dashboard, can you post your output as well?

Right now the Dashboard will try to take ownership of the folder and then reset the permissions for all the files / sub-folders. It should work at all times because we are running as local system with the take ownership privilege.

Thanks,
  • Arthur you can use Recurva to recover files if you did not have a backup. It may take awhile for 400GB though.
  • @Alex I wasn't blaming DP, I realized a little to late what I was doing, of course it was 3AM when I was messing with it and half reading forum posts..  @eagleknight I've got them backed up so I'm not really that concerned about the loss of the files, it will take a bit to get them back but I won't have to try to "recover" them as deleted files..

@Alex I submitted a bug report through the wiki.. Not sure what is causing the problems I am running into.. On the separate OS load I can't get the pool to mount completely.. Same OS, same updates, same version of DP.. Initial performance of the system running on the SSD is a lot better than this standard SATA drive, with the exception that I can't get the pool running of couse :(
  • @Alex considering the the problems that I have been having, not sure if this is possible - rename the "hidden data folder" on the pool volumes.. reload everything from scratch.. recreate the pool and then just move the data from the renamed folders to the pool?
  • Covecube
    @Alex:

My output is up at http://pastebin.com/Q6fAmEhr
    Test.2 is not right, but it shouldn't give an access denied. I don't see anything there that would give an access denied.

In particular, I'm looking for NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)

The (I) shouldn't be there, but it won't hurt because there's an (F) which means full control. DrivePool uses the system account to set permissions on the folders.

Hmm... maybe the problem is with the links.

Can you repeat this in C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders\.

Thanks,
  • Covecube
    @Alex considering the the problems that I have been having, not sure if this is possible - rename the "hidden data folder" on the pool volumes.. reload everything from scratch.. recreate the pool and then just move the data from the renamed folders to the pool?
    Yep, that'll work. I'm not sure what the issue is with your install. I got your log file but what I really need is your error reports.

Instructions:

There might be an easy way to fix whatever the problem is if I can diagnose it. But if you don't want to wait your approach will work too :)
  • @Alex

Here's the result from the C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders directory: http://pastebin.com/yYBzvNLX

• Yep, that'll work. I'm not sure what the issue is with your install. I got your log file but what I really need is your error reports.

Instructions:

There might be an easy way to fix whatever the problem is if I can diagnose it. But if you don't want to wait your approach will work too :)
    I had already reloaded that OS drive before I saw this post.. Sorry about that.. Slowly working on remounting the individual drives right now and renaming the server pool folders to start over..
  • Covecube
    @Alex

Here's the result from the C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders directory: http://pastebin.com/yYBzvNLX
    Alright, it seems like your TV and USERS junctions have no permissions at all. This would be a problem. I'll try to set up a repro and come up with a fix.
  • Covecube
    @Alex

3959 will now set security over folderlinks that have no security. Just published.
  • Working fine now. Thanks.
  • Resident Guru
    I upgraded from build 3785 to build 3959 earlier today. I have just tried to add a new folder and received the Access Denied error. The first time, it created a folder under ServerFolders.Mount and a symlinkd under ServerFolders (all of my other shares show up as junctions...) and after that it is still creating folders under ServerFolders.Mount but nothing under ServerFolders.

Further details and my icacls results are at http://pastebin.com/RsXWEFXx (set to expire after 1 month).
  • Did you make sure all your permissions were proper and fixed first?

I don't think 3959 included a fix to prevent it from happening it just fixed the issue when you reapplied the permissions when they got messed up.  But I could be wrong.
  • edited September 2011 Resident Guru
    I was under the impression that the Access Denied errors mentioned so far were only happening to pre-existing pool folders? Mine are only happening to pool folders I attempt to create - existing ones are working just fine. EDIT: have sent Alex DP's ErrorReports.
  • edited September 2011 Member
    Sorry, you said folder, I assume you were creating a new folder in an existing share.
  • edited September 2011 Resident Guru
    Additional problem. Discovered photos share couldn't be accessed. Permissions in DP were all No Access. Told DP to change that to Read/Write and up popped an error window:

Error applying folder properties
    This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object
  • Resident Guru
    Happy to report that build 4055 and its permissions-resetting tool solved my problem.
  • I reapplied ownership and permissions on all my shares just to make sure everything is straightened out.  Hopefully all is well from this point on.  Bring on M4.
  • Can't wait for this to be stable enough for production use. Tried drive bender rc1 that were out today. But it's  so complicated that I had huge problems setting it up.

DrivePool looks much more straight forward, and the advanced features like striped reads sounds very promising.