Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Backup Share Larger than 2tb

edited October 2011 in DrivePool
So I have read that WHS2011 limits to 2tb backups.  Does this mean that it won't backup a share on the pool that is 3tb?  Also does anyone know if the server backup will span over multiple drives?

Comments

• Based on my experience and what I understand from my investigating this on the connect site, WHS 2011 will only back up to one 2TB disc at a time.   You can manually swap out disks, but it will not backup multiple shares to multiple back up discs without manual intervention.  Basically you can only automatically backup up to 2 TB at a time.   Kind of makes it useless in my opinion.  Except, perhaps to back up those things you REALLY want backed up, like family photos, etc., but this thing isn't going to automatically back up 10TB of data, even *if* none of the shares nor the backup discs were greater than 2TB.  It wont even "fill up one backup, then move to the next".   I really hope I'm completely wrong on this one!
  • Resident Guru
    WHS2011's Backup wizard is limited to 2TB total and a single destination disk. *cue brain exploding*

It actually uses Server 2008's backup software underneath, which does not have this limit but has a much uglier UI. If you want more than 2TB and a friendly UI, you'll have to either wait for Microsoft to fix it or use third-party software.
  • edited October 2011 Member

Thats what I thought.  I seriously only backup what is important.  I have 3.5tb of blurays and dont back them up.  I figure that I have so many friends with most of my movies that I can pool them if I have a crash.  I might end up losing a few movies, but I can get them back some how.  Soon you have to lay down what is important and what is not, or you will end up with a sh#tload to backup.   Someday WHS will be complete and turn key.  It seems that you cant have everything.

I moved from a HP MSS EX470 and just built this

Fractal Array R2 Case
    Zotac H67 mITX
    i3 2120T 2.6ghz
    4gb Ram
    WD Scorpio 160gb 2.5" for WHS2011 system
    1-WD 3TB Green
    3-WD 2TB Green

PCH C-200
    Boxee Box
    Roku
    Xbox 360 Slim

WHS 2011 works great with Stablebit and am loving the speed over my old ex470.  YAMJ and NMT Server haul ass compared to my old system.