Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

ServerPool Directory

edited October 2011 in DrivePool

Hihi

I run a squeezebox server on my WHS2011, now instead of using the share mounts, because of the amount of data and search done, I would like to use the proper path ie D:\ServerPoolPart.<ID>

Now the problem/issue i hit the max char in a path limit with my music sub directories

Can or will the pre amble after ServerPoolPart ever go ? therefor helping me not hit the Char limit :)

Blue

Comments

• That's not the proper path.  That's only one disk, what if your music is spread across multiple disks?

C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders

• I know :)

But that points to share (ie out side to back in) I want a direct point and i understand this is read only I copy the music to the server from my PC

Blue

• my music is stored on one disk and then duplicated to the other

• I know :)

But that points to share (ie out side to back in) I want a direct point and i understand this is read only I copy the music to the server from my PCBlue
    It doesn't go outside and back in.  The network adapter isn't involved at all.  Watch your network utilization, and do a copy from UNC to C:\ directly on your server.  There might be a small amount of overhead but ultimately your CPU should easily be able to handle anything faster than the disk anyway.

In fact if you turn on drive pool's read striping you'll get better performance than reading direct from one disk.
  • Resident Guru
    Hi Blue, in order of preferred use, the paths are:

\\servername\poolfolder\yourstuff
    c:\serverpool\serverfolders.mount\poolfolder.duplicationnumber\yourstuff
    c:\serverpool\serverfolders\poolfolder\yourstuff

Note that the latter two are NOT network shares, they are filesystem junctions.

Also, do not create/rename/delete any poolfolder itself other than via the Dashboard as it can Mess Things Up.
  • I am still confused where to place my videos. I use "MyMovies" and I want to start copying all my videos to the pool file. Shane stated there are 3 places to place the files:

\\servername\poolfolder\yourstuff
    c:\serverpool\serverfolders.mount\poolfolder.duplicationnumber\yourstuff
    c:\serverpool\serverfolders\poolfolder\yourstuff

On my sysem under the C: drive, I have ServerPool and under that I have ServerFolders and ServerFolderMount. The WHS 2011 system has a shared directory call Videos. Should I move that directory to the pool or just create a new directory in the pool and copy all of my videos to that directory. And where is the pool located so I can created the new file or move the shared Videos directory to?

I noticed that on each of my drives in the pool, there is a directory called ServerFolders. Is this correct?

Thanks

• edited October 2011 Member

Hi blctech,

You should use the first one which is a UNC path. My Movies likes UNC paths and folder monitoring tends to work better with UNC paths. The last two are not real shares but junctions. Folder monitoring can get confused when you try to use junctions or direct paths in combination with UNC paths. Sometimes it will think that they are two different folders and you can end up with duplicates.

Allways go through the network share \\servername\poolfolder\yourfolder

Using a UNC path will allow the system to manage the data locations for you because your movies can then be spread over several hard drives without you having to worry about specific locations. :-)

• edited October 2011 Member
    Hi teddyboy. Thanks for that info. One question. I don't see a folder called poolfolder  on the server or is that just a stand in name. When I do a directory for \\dvd-serve2 (which is my server name), I get 3 directorys:Documents, Pictures, and Videos. I remember moving my Videos fold to the pool when when I try to access it as in  \\dvd-serve2\videos it says "the device is not ready". Documents and Pictures work

Is poolfolder a shared folder that I can point MyMovies to.
  • Hi blctech,

Thats just a stand-in name for what ever folder name you would be using. In may case DVDs is the folder name on my server that has all my dvds and blu-rays. I'm not using Drivepool at this time, and I won't until is actually released, but that really doesn't matter. What I did was create the DVDs folder with in the WHSv1 console. Once I did that I simply pointed MyMovies to that folder using a UNC path. I'm not sure why you are not able to access your Videos folder. From what I understand you should be able to move that folder into the pool. You could try creating another folder in the pool called movies and see if you can access that, or try rebooting your server to see if you can gain access.

• Thanks teddyboy. It was some "sharing access" problem in WHS2011. I created an new directory, moved the Videos folder to that directory then moved the Videos folder into the pool. It worked. It seem WHS2011 has some strange sharing protocols.

Thanks for the help on the UNC paths. Made everything work well!!!