Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can't add partition if it's on the same harddisk as OS

edited October 2011 in DrivePool
I have WHS 2011 installed on a 2 GB disk and that leaves 1.8 GB of free space to add to the pool - but I can't get it to show up in the list on the Hard Drive Pooling tab no mater if I format it or leave it as raw space.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a rule that permite the pool to include partitions on the same disk as the OS

(Use v.1.0.4074)

Comments

• Looking at the Hard Drive Pooling tab it does say 'System or boot drives cannot be part of the drive pool' so I guess thats the answer and you are doing nothing wrong.
  • Resident Guru
    WHS 2011 creates a C: (system) and D: (data) partition on the first drive. It should be possible to add the D: partition to the pool (and just to be sure, I did it before posting this).

So if you can't add WHS's data partition on the first drive to the pool, something is wrong.
  • I have been looking abit deeper into this and I think I have found the reason.

If I look in the Disk Management view in the Server Manager console i can see that both the 100Mb hidden boot partition and the C:\ (OS installed here) drive are of the type Dynamic - all other volumes are of the type Basic.
    And when I create a new partition on the same disk as c:\ it's always Dynamic.

Think the only way I can fix this is to reinstall WHS :-(
  • I did a reinstallation last night - my boot and C drive are no longer dynamic and that fixed the problem.

• Glad you got it sorted.

Alex maybe the wording above could be changed from drives to partions or volumes?