Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Random Duplication Errors

edited October 2011 in DrivePool

I've found that when writing a lot of data to the pool, whether it's a single large file (like a BD ISO) or a large number of smaller ones, I'll start getting duplication errors on the pool.  One drive (never the same one) will get flagged as unhealthy, and one or two files on the drive (almost never one of the files I was writing to) will be listed as not duplicated.

The duplication repair wizard corrects the problem, but it's still a little unnerving to see one of the metadata files for The Italian Job lose its duplication while ripping Up, or see the same happen to the ISO for Spaceballs while doing a mass-update of cover art.

Server is running My Movies for WHS2011 v2.10 PR4 (I don't do any ripping locally on the server).

Clients are running My Movies for Win7 Media Center v4.02 PR5.

I've seen this with the last few builds of DrivePool, including 4108.  Settings are as follows:  5 threads (one for each drive), Direct file I/O and Read Striping enabled, Fast I/O and Fast I/O for writing enabled.

Comments

• Sans digital enclosure?   Running Stablebit Scanner as well?
  • Sans digital enclosure?   Running Stablebit Scanner as well?

Digital Enclosure?  Not sure, but no.  Also no Scanner.

• Sans Digital is a enclosure manufacturer.

Anyway, I had the same issue and it was caused by the scanner causing the sans digital controller to lock up  temporarily when doing a SMART query.  Alex guided me through disabling smart in the scanner and the problem went away.
  • Covecube
    I'm aware of the rare and spurious duplication errors. In all the cases I've seen they are false positives and is a problem with the way the system detects duplication errors and not in the way it duplicates files.

It's one of the fundamental issues that we're addressing in M4.
  • I'm also seeing this while using MyMoives to rip my DVDs to the server. Have run the scan and it has been fixed everytime so far