Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Cannot add iSCSI drive to Pool

edited October 2011 in DrivePool

I have added iSCSI storage from Windows 2008 Server as i: drive in WHS2011, but when I try and add to drive pool:

Error adding drive to pool
Access to the path '\\.\GLOBALROOT \Device\HarddiskVolume7\' is denied.

Is this to be expected, and are there plans to include iSCSI support?

David

Comments

• Covecube
    This was not tested. Based on the error it seems that there is a permissions error accessing the volume.

That weird path refers the the root directory on that drive. DrivePool runs as LOCAL SYSTEM. Perhaps the system account doesn't have access to the root directory?

Generally, adding a drive is nothing more than creating a special "ServerPoolPart..." folder in the root (we also set NTFS permissions on it).

Access denied means no NTFS permissions to do something.
  • Alex,
    I am able to use the iSCSI drive in the normal share pool and, so far, I have not found any other limitations. My intention is to use the iSCSI drives as an external storage for the backups.

Looking at the system permissions for the iSCSI drive (I:) there is full access for system account. There should not be any share locks as I have only mounted the iSCSI on one WHS2011 server.

Not sure if this is of any value, but to investigate the permissions for the GLOBALROOT device, I have mounted the GlobalRoot device to a drive letter V and viewed the access control (the iSCSI share is assigned to I:)
    dosdev v: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume7

Extract from dosdev:

I: = \Device\HarddiskVolume7 [Fixed]
    V: = \??\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume7 [Fixed] *** LOGICAL DRIVE BIT NOT SET ***

There is no difference between the icalcs report fror V: or I:
    icacls v:
    v: BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
       CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
       BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(RX)
       BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(AD)
       BUILTIN\Users:(CI)(IO)(WD)
       Everyone:(RX)

Is there anything else I could check?

Thanks
    David

• Covecube
    Try this:

Generate a new GUID (you can use http://createguid.com/ or guidgen.exe)

Create a folder on the drive in this format:

ServerPoolPart.{GUID}

Replace the GUID with your generated GUID. Make sure the GUID is enclosed in {...}.

See if that adds the drive to the pool.
  • edited October 2011 Member

Alex,

I have created the folder,

I:\ServerPoolPart.{14C703D1-4D58-4F09-BF3F-2497B66E68BE}

but it is not added to the pool. I: Drive is still listed in the 'Not in Pool'
    (I only restarted the dashboard, did not reboot server)

Edit: I have rebooted and iscs I: drive is now listed in the share pool, and drivepool started creating duplication folders. Looking good.

David