Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Lost my main drive, now what?

edited November 2011 in DrivePool
Hi Folks,

I've been using Drivepool with my WHS2011 for a while just in case the unthinkable happens (hey, I have two Hitachi drives -- what could go wrong!?!), but I don't use the server that much.  

Low and behold the main system drive, which also has a partition that is apart of the drivepool  craps out on me.  Got a new, identical drive, from the maker, popped it in and reinstalled windows from the WHS2011 backup.

I updated drivepool (the back up was from late September) restarted the machine and it looks like my old pool is still there.  However, it is not seeing my new drive as I had expected. It gives me an error that my drive (the old drive) is missing.   How can I get Drivepool to recognize the drive?  Should I "remove missing drive from the storage pool"?

Comments

• edited November 2011 Resident Guru
    Is there a folder beginning with "ServerPoolPart" in your new D:\ partition?
  • No. The new D drive is completely blank. I've tried formatting it a few times and it remains blank.   It cannot be seen by DrivePool. Scratch that -- it can be seen, but only as a "protected" drive.

Furthermore, the old D pool cannot be deleted.  All attempts throws an error (something about not enough space).

• Resident Guru
    Hmm. Can you post a screenshot of your machine's DrivePool "Hard Drive Pooling" tab?
  • edited November 2011 Member
    Not sure how to post a screenshot.  Any instructions? 

I've uploaded it here as well.
  • Resident Guru
    In the comment writing box's toolbar there's an "Insert Image" button that can link to a url (e.g. of a pic you have uploaded to the web).

Looking at your linked pic... that's... not right. If you're interested in setting up a remote session, I've sent you a PM with my contact email.

• Thanks Shane.  Sent you a pm as well.
  • edited December 2011 Resident Guru
    For general reference, this particular problem (involving amongst other factors WHS's default data partition being assigned "F:" rather than "D:") was fixed by taking the following steps:

1. uninstall DrivePool
    2. change partition drive letter F:\ back to D:\
    3. delete C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool
    4. reinstall DrivePool, reboot
    5. add partition D:\ to pool
    6. validate pool health if warned about it

Hope that helps anyone with a similar issue.