Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

WSUS on pool + Direct File I/O = Fail

edited November 2011 in DrivePool

I've been running WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) on my WHS for some time without issue, with the cache stored on a non-pooled drive.

Yesterday, I moved the WSUS cache to the pool by first creating the folder in DrivePool, then using wsusutil to move the cache to C:\ServerPool\ServerFolders\WSUS Data.  (WSUS's SQL database is still stored on a non-pooled drive.)

At first, all seemed well, until I set WSUS to download the "express installation files" (basically, the big offline installers, as opposed to the little webdownloaders).  This started WSUS downloading large amounts of data (expected), but shortly after, DrivePool appeared to hang.

After much trial and error (rebooting, setting WSUS to delayed start, etc), I traced the problem to Direct File I/O, both with and without Fast Directory Listing or Read Striping.  Disabling Direct File I/O has resolved the issue for now.

Logs are forthcoming.

WSUS 3.0SP2 (3.2.7600.226)

DrivePool build 4133

Comments

• I can see similar problems when downloading multiple large files from the internet. Say you for some reason want to allocate and start downloading 10 x 2 GB files. That usually does not go very well with DrivePool. Total hang and often a crash or timeout for the calling application. Works a treat for non-pooled shares.