Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

DrivePool and defragment tools

edited January 2012 in DrivePool
I wonder how DrivePool and various defrag tools go together? Is it ok and safe to run a defragment now and again?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    It should be. DrivePool M3 runs "above" NTFS while the Windows defrag API runs "in" or "below" it (depending on your point of view).
  • M4 is a complete re-write, I wouldn't put much effort into figuring out defrag with M3
  • If it's worth anything, I've been running Raxco PerfectDisk 12 for a couple months now (DrivePool installed the whole time) and no issues at all... At least none that I'm aware of.
  • edited January 2012 Covecube
    NTFS stores each file in 4096 byte sized chunks (usually) called clusters.

The more you create / delete on the disk, the more "holes" you create, because for efficiency, NTFS files are placed randomly on the disk. To fill these holes files have to be split up into smaller chunks, or fragments. That's how your disk gets fragmented.

Since DrivePool doesn't work with the disk, and doesn't care how the files are stored on disk, it is impossible and meaningless to defragment the pool.

The pool is just a virtual construct that sits on top of some number of NTFS volumes, where each NTFS volume writes to the disk and decides how to best store the files.

You should defragment each individual NTFS volume, and that will benefit the pool.
  • Sorry, I should say that perfectdisk has been running on the volumes themselves and NOT the drivepool shares.