Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

M4: Serverbackup failed

edited January 2012 in DrivePool
Hi,

after instalation of StableBit M4 the serverbackup doesn´t work anymore. The Backup starts normally, but after a few minutes it stops with the message "Not successful".

I have tried it several time on a new, fresh installation of WHS 2011, but the reasult was allways the same.

Has anyone the same problem. How could it be fixed?

Thanks

Comments

• I've experienced this myself from time to time. Usually re-configuring the server backup (i.e. just making sure that only the System and C: drives are selected) will make it work again. I do not take server backup of the shares since they are all duplicated anyway as well as backed up in the "cloud". I use server backup purely for OS backup so that if my C: drive fails I have a backup.
  • Thank you very much for your advice!

I will try the same and backup only my c: drive this evening - will see what happen.

• I also have problems with server backup - and when I look into the event log it says:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2012‎-‎01‎-‎25T07:00:38.777000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '2155348001'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

If the first solution doesn't work please look at your log to see if you have the same message
  • The Change Log for both M3 and M4 states that: Shadow copies are not supported on the pool.

• Actually, I hope this is a temporary situation as I want to put my client backups into the pool and use the WHS Backup to back them up too - even if WHS Backup is definitely "Brain Damaged" - see this interesting blog by Geoff Coupe at: 
    http://gcoupe.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/server-backups-in-windows-home-server-2011/

• Yesterday I have changed the setting of the serverbackup, backup only drive C: Afterwards I have tried to start the serverbackup several times - The result was always the same: It stops with the message " Not successful".

In the event log I have foung exactly the same entries as "webmarck" got:

The backup operation that started at
    '‎2012‎-‎01‎-‎25T07:00:38.777000000Z' has failed because the Volume
    Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes
    being backed up failed with following error code '2155348001'....

I've made ​​another observation: In any attempt to backup the server, the Device Manager starts in the systray with the following message: Volume shadow copy driver installed. (Sorry, I can not renember the exact wording ..) In the background opened another dialog box asking you if you want to restart the server...

• Something new about this?