Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

LCC and intellipark, pooled vs. non-pooled

edited January 2012 in DrivePool
I use all western digital green for storage drives in my server, mainly because I know how to work with them.  The plan for my server is to have a pool of 2 or 3 drives that pretty much everything other than the larger more static collections will be stored on.  I am going to have more 2TB drives outside of the pool (and in an external USB 3.0 enclosure) for movies, home videos (these may go in the pool) and music.  These drives will be backed up to an external on a regular basis and taken offsite.

On the pooled drives, I have used the wdidle3 program from Western Digital to max out the intellipark timer.  Is it really necessary to do this on the drives that are outside of the pool?  My assumption is that they are only going to be accessed when they are in use so the Load Cycle Count should not be an issue.

Comments

• edited March 2012 Member
    I can't answer for sure, but I don't think it is necessary to max out the intellipark timer on those drives.  I currently have I think 6 WD green drives and none of them have a maxed out intellipark timer.  I don't get any problems when using drivepool or the externals in WHS 2011, maybe I am just lucky though.