Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Client Backup Not Working Since DrivePool Installation

edited February 2012 in DrivePool
Good Afternoon,

My client backups were exceeding the storage available on a single (1TB) drive in my WHS 2011 setup, so I decided it was time to try Pooling software.  DrivePool seems the most polished so far, so here I am :)

I installed it, and moved all folders to the H drive Pool.

Since then I am unable to back up any client machines.  It says failed.

The Client Backup Service on the Server will not run.  I've tried rebooting the server, launching it manually, etc... but very shortly after running it it stops.

I updated to the latest build today but that didn't help.

I even tried removing and reinstalling the WHS software on the client machine, and that didn't help either.

Any Idea's ?

Comments

• BTW.....

I have WHS 2011 running under a Hyper-V on Server 2008 r2.

All of the drives assigned to WHS 2011 (three 1TB drives) are set as offline, and have been added to the Hyper-V system as physical drives.  For those that don't understand this, it basically means my WHS running as a Hyper-V is not using Virtual drives.  It is accessing the three 1TB drives natively.

All three drives were added to the pool, and the Pool is the H drive.

I had no issues with this until I installed Drive Pool and moved the folders to H.

Figured I'd better add all that  :)
  • edited February 2012 Member
    So I have a similar situation. I am also running WHS 2011 in Hyper-V on an Intel Quad-Core with 8 Gigs of RAM. The WHS Server has 6 Gigs of RAM dedicated to it and all four processors are available. My drives are also connected to WHS via Offline Mode/Physical Mode exactly as DPDoggies' are. I've been trying to move my entire collection of data (about 5 terabytes) over to this pooling system. Because my drives are of different sizes, this is exactly what I was looking for over reverting back to WHS 1. I have my duplication set on my folders, but everything is set to duplicate later so that I can get the write performance now. 

My setup is similar, but I do not seem to be affected by the issue with the backups...yet (thankfully). I am running Build M4 5677.

Server is running great otherwise. 

My issues are related to speed mostly. It's really odd because it's as if the whole server will stall briefly for about 5-10 seconds at a time, then copy for 10 seconds or so then stall, and then back and forth. This not only is affecting the copy speed (currently at 16 m/b a second), but also the WHS server will be non-responsive for those brief periods. The host 2008 R2 server is unaffected and has under 2% utilization 99% of the time. Any thoughts?
  • Ok, so an update as of 2/12/12 @ 2:30 PM MST (GMT -7). Since playing with it since last night, it appears that the problem was actually related to an extra SATA controller card I had installed. The drivers were from 2009. It's a Rosewill device, but uses a JMicron Controller. By going to JMicron and downloading the latest update, my hiccups seem to have been resolved (glad it wasn't an issue with Hyper-V itself). Transfers are still painfully slow, even with duplication set to run at night and not on demand. When not in the pool I can transfer at about 80-100 Megabytes a second. While in the pool, I was averaging a (better than before) 29 megabytes a second. I'd still like this to be above 50 mb/s if possible, but again I realize this is still in beta. Anyway, hope this helps someone else and honestly, fantastic work so far Alex. Can't wait for the final product!

P.S. One feature I would like to see added is a progress indicator (either time or percent, etc) that indicates how far along the balancing is progressing.