Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Betas and beyond?

edited February 2012 in DrivePool
I really like the drive pool software and I'm currently in the process of building a new home server. So I tried out your software with my new system build of WHS 2011, I'm running the M4 beta and it's going great, in the settings it says the beta expires end of May, Once I get this server built this week I'd really like to not have to touch it for a long time. But seeing as you put a time limit on your beta makes me think you're going to charge for the product. I was curious if you had an estimate on how much that would cost? Last thing I want to do is get cozy with this for a few months then have to pull everything off and incorporate a new system.

Thank you.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Based on Alex's forum posts so far, while he's avoided stating any actual figures it should be in the competition's ballpark, which to me seems to be in the low double-digits range, at least for home servers.

Stablebit Scanner is USD 24.95, so I'm hoping (emphasis: hoping, with no actual knowledge whatsoever) that he's planning something similar for DrivePool. I've been eyeing Scanner, so if so, I might grab both at the same time.
  • Thanks Shane, I was basically hoping for something 30 and under, 20 would be perfect for me (because of how little money I've set aside for this server :) but I've seen some other options that have been $50 and up which is well in the point that I wouldn't do drive pooling and I would just deal with having split directories. 
  • Resident Guru
    Keep in mind, "low double-digits" includes 49.99 - it's probably rather optimistic of me to think it will be the same price as Scanner.

Alex makes it *look* simple, but writing a kernel-level, disk-pooling, NTFS-friendly, Windows-based file system certainly isn't something I'd want to wake up to each morning for a year in the hope of someday making a buck! I'd buy at 40-50 and you'd buy at 20-30 (at that price I'd buy two), so Alex has to figure out what will best recoup his effort. :)
  • I would pay up to 40€ or 50$ but if it is cheaper, i would take it too ;-)