Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

When a folder is marked as duplicated, how many copies are made ?

edited February 2012 in DrivePool

Hi

Currently I have 2 x 2TB disks but planning on going for another 2 x 3TB disks for the NAS. Some questions:

• Is DrivePool aware of partitions on same disks and therefore duplicates folders accordingly ( making sure that the duplicates across different disks as opposed to different partitions ? )
  • How many copies are made of duplicated folders ? Just 2 - or as many as there are drives in that pool ?
  • Is it better to have all partitions/volumes on the pool < 2TB ? I saw some posts on forums about this. Not really sure why as WHS 2011 supports GPT and I am assuming it would be seamless to just format the whole 3TB on each of the new disks as GPT and add it to the pool ...

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi harshw,
    • DrivePool is disk-aware. If it's duplicating across two partitions on the same disk, please file a bug report.
    • Duplicated folders have 2 copies. Future versions may allow for this to be user-selectable.
    • DrivePool happily accepts >2TB disks. WHS 2011's backup wizard, however, has a 2TB limit. If you want to backup more than 2TB, you'll need to use something other than WHS 2011's backup wizard.
    Hope that helps.
  • Hi Shane

Thanks - this answers my questions. It would be good if users could select the number of copies made for duplicated folders ...

Personally I think DrivePool is awesome, and is the main reason I went in for WHS 2011 !

Now I'm just waiting for a good deal on 3TB disks ...