Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Noob need few confirmations before i proceed.

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

Hi guys new here and hope someone can help me out before i lose any data :)

So i have now installed Drivepool and currently have two hard drives which are in the pool.

One hard drive is empty and the other has data which i want duplicate and also share.

Do i first just add the folder to the drive pool via the dashboard option?

Once this is done do i then delete this data from the drive i copied from and leave it on the pool?

Also i dont understand if i added a drive to a pool, should i not only see the pool drive under computer and not the other drives which are in the pool?

Confused..

Thanks

Comments

• sorted it by reading other threads below. So now i have all my data under the pool drive with nothing remaining directly on the other drives.

One question if i was to add another hard drive with data do i follow he same procedure again when i created the share folders on pool and migrate data?

• edited March 2012 Resident Guru
    There are a variety of ways to migrate data to the pool; the main thing to keep in mind is that any drive added to the pool still remains usable as a normal drive, with all its existing data intact.

If you're just using the Dashboard, the process is simple:

• add the drive to the pool, add its folders to the server
    • move your data from those folders to pool folders, or move the folders themselves to the pool drive
    • tidy up your folders and set duplication as desired

If you're using Remote Desktop to the server, the process is also simple:

• via the dashboard, add the drive to the pool and create any new pool shares you want
    • via explorer, move the drive's files and folders as you wish to the pool drive/shares
    • via the dashboard, set/change duplication as desired

The above can be varied to taste:

• If you're using Remote Desktop, via explorer you can also create folders on the pool drive without having to share them.
    • On the Dashboard, "Add a folder to the Pool" only allows you to create a shared folder on the pool under the ServerFolders root folder, while "Add a folder" also allows you (by then clicking "Browse") to create and/or share a folder on any drive, including root folders, even on the system drive!

(all of the above as of M4 build 5824)
  • Excellent appreciate the details, it will surely help :)
  • edited March 2012 Member

One more question as you said if i were to create a folder without using dashboard as using that creates a shared folder so if i created a folder manually how do i enable duplication on it?

just to add i created a folder at the root of the drive and not under serverfolders as id like to keep that section just for shared info.

• Resident Guru
    Currently (as far as I know), the only "normal" way to enable/disable duplication on a folder is if it's listed in the dashboard as a shared folder. However, if you stop sharing a duplicated folder (right-click, "Stop sharing the folder") it still seems to remember whatever duplication status it had as a shared folder.
  • Ok would be good if we were able to do it if the folder was not in dashboard. 
  • Resident Guru
    The trick/workaround in the meantime would be to use the dashboard to add the existing folder so it becomes a share ("Add a folder to the pool", make up a random temporary share name, "Browse", choose the existing folder), enable duplication, then stop sharing the folder.
  • cool thanks wil give that a go :)