Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

??? Beta to Gold/RTM ???

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

Greetings All,

I've been waiting and watching status on another Website, which reported release in month
X of 2011 only to report a delay, followed by another delay. Well, December 11, January 12,
and February have come and gone.

I decided to find the sounce myself and it looks as if M4 was to be the last beta;
however, it appears the M4 phase is simply growing in release numbers. By the
looks of the recent postings (transfer speeds, drive balancing, drives not
adding/reporting/missing/vanishing)... but not limited to.

Is it safe to assume this product is not ready for mainstream and going to be delayed
another couple of months?

Maybe ready in June/July of 2012?

Chad

Comments

• To the best of my knowledge a release date for Stablebit has never been mentioned. It sounds as though the website you frequent does not let facts get in the way of adding "information" of their site.

M4 was a rework of drivepool software to alieviate issue's in the previous beta's and was never intended to be a RTM. When the bugs have been squashed it will no doubt be released and I am very much looking forward to the day. At present the M4 in my environment has been performing OK.

There are other options as a DE replacement but I do not feel inclined to pay for a product that has been released but seems to more of a pay for Beta rather than a real release of a product.

When Stablebit is released it will be a good product and a credit to Alex. Assuming a reasonable price, I will be towards the front of the queue to purchase the software for my Whs.

Dave

• To the best of my knowledge a release date for Stablebit has never been mentioned. It sounds as though the website you frequent does not let facts get in the way of adding "information" of their site.

M4 was a rework of drivepool software to alieviate issue's in the previous beta's and was never intended to be a RTM. When the bugs have been squashed it will no doubt be released and I am very much looking forward to the day. At present the M4 in my environment has been performing OK.
    There are other options as a DE replacement but I do not feel inclined to pay for a product that has been released but seems to more of a pay for Beta rather than a real release of a product.
    When Stablebit is released it will be a good product and a credit to Alex. Assuming a reasonable price, I will be towards the front of the queue to purchase the software for my Whs.
    Dave

Indeed yes.. Im currently running "the paid for beta" on my PC. Absoulutely no comparison to be made. Ease of use?? Drivepool wins hands down. Alex has the right idea. "help iron out the bugs and then pay if you like the result."

This being opposed to the competitor.. " I now have sold rights to the software to a hardware vendor, So pay up."

Its a fine line between claiming to have a finished product that is being improved on, or having a product that was not and still is not even close to a reliable usable product.

• edited March 2012 Member

Thanks for the information.

Dave747, I've tried to go back and find the projected release dates and I do believe your correct regarding no formal dates; it was more "should be", "looks like", and "I hope" being published.

I'm aware of the other product and concur that just because you’re first to market doesn't mean you’re running a finished product. I'm not running either product. I've been watching both and from what I can see from the forums like WGS, and screen captures and release notes on CoveCube's site I'm waiting for Stablebit.

DaveyBoy37, I'd love to help in the tests... However, I have one WHS 2011 box and it’s my production box for the house. I have close to 8TB of data on it with 12TB of storage and no local backup of the data. Therefore, the risk is high for me to load a beta. I also understand the risk is high running w/o a local backup; however, all my S.M.A.R.T. statuses continue to be Green/Healthy. DE use to be my only local copy backup and I've been running in this configuration ever since the WHS 2011 release; just can’t afford to go buy another 3-4 2-3TB drives at this time.

Since I’m really not in a position to test and my confidence is high that this is the product I’ll be running.  I’d be willing to pre-order if it would help fund the development; assuming the cost is somewhere in the $40-60 range.

Here’s to hoping for a RTM/Gold release soon.

Chad

• I'm running DP on my production server as well. I've got 6 HDDs ranging from 500MB to 2TB with a total of 4.5 TB of data in the pool. I do have external backup, but I've used DP since the beta M2 and I've never had need for the backup. The only "problem" I know of is that you cannot have the Client Backups share in the pool. 

I did however experience problems with the old WHS1 DE from time to time. So I'm not in any doubt. M4 is at least as good as DE was and I've got no problems trusting DP at this stage.

Paaland,

Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully, I never had a drive failure or data corruption under the old WHS1 DE.

I backup five boxes to the WHS 2011 box: three Win7 Premium home computers and two laptops (1 Win7 and 1 Mac).

I also have CrashPlan running on the WHS 2011 box; therefore, I have all data on the WHS encrypted in the cloud. However, that would be a real pain, in terms of speed, to restore from.

I'll attempt to acquire one 3TB external drive(s) to backup things I can't afford to lose (ex. kids videos). Wife would be furious if I lost their Birthdays'/Christmas' and a whole bunch of other firsts.

Chad

• Paaland  I currently have client backups in pooled drive and its working fine.  I had it in pooled drive before but it  gave that message of backup service.  I took it out of pooled drive.  Then I did a computer backup of each pc made sure the backups worked and they did with no problems.  I then moved the client backups back to the pooled drive and it has worked flawlessly after that.
  • @rfalcon Good to hear. I've tried moving the Client Backups folder to the pool a couple of times with various releases (I've got about 700GB of Client Backups so it takes some time to move, so I don't test that often). I've always had problems with the backups starting to fail when I do this. Moving the share back out of the pool solves it for me.

Maybe I'll give it another shoot later on. But for now it's ok since I'm not about to have that share duplicated anyways. 
  • Paaland,

Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully, I never had a drive failure or data corruption under the old WHS1 DE.I backup five boxes to the WHS 2011 box: three Win7 Premium home computers and two laptops (1 Win7 and 1 Mac).I also have CrashPlan running on the WHS 2011 box; therefore, I have all data on the WHS encrypted in the cloud. However, that would be a real pain, in terms of speed, to restore from.I'll attempt to acquire one 3TB external drive(s) to backup things I can't afford to lose (ex. kids videos). Wife would be furious if I lost their Birthdays'/Christmas' and a whole bunch of other firsts.Chad
    CHeat -

Rest assured, restoring from CrashPlan is going to be the last thing you'll ever want to do.  I've been restoring a backup from my ex WHS 1.0 box to WHS2011.  Despite tweaking the few options in the Restore section of the CrashPlan app, the restoration of about 5 TB should be complete by the Stanley Cup final game if I'm LUCKY.   Less than 6 Mbps no matter what the machine or connection.  

Nice to know your stuff is encrypted in the cloud, and for one or two small, must have docs, restoring is no problem.   But I am ready to call CrashPlan tomorrow and see if they offer a "reverse seeding" deal... where they restore my data to loaner hard drives, and then I send them the drives back.  (They offer an initial seeding service that is the reverse of this if you have a metric ton of crap to back up... fill drives, send them in, and then just to incremental backups from there on...)  The price is right, but it's like betting on a glacier at a horse race.