Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Shared folder pie chart

edited March 2012 in DrivePool
The shared folder tab will show how much of each drives capacity a share uses. It will show a bar equal in length to the percentage of the disc capacity the share occupies. I've got a server with six quite large disks, so all my shares only occupy a small amount of each disk's capacity.

The resulting pie chart is typically something like this:

The bars are barely visible. Alex: Could you please add an option to show the relative usage instead? Thus showing the share's relative location (usage) on each disk in percent of the total? Thus resulting in something like this (numbers are just out of my head so I know they don't add up to 100%):

Here I can immediately see that close to 50% of this share is on Data5.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    I think you should send in a feature request if you want changes
  • I've done that too. I refered to this post. Just wantet others to be able to "vote" for this. If it's only me then Alex need not bother.
  • Resident Guru
    I've done that too. I refered to this post. Just wantet others to be able to "vote" for this. If it's only me then Alex need not bother.
    gotcha :)
  • Covecube
    I have thought about this...

The reason why the percentages are not there is because IMO they are displaying redundant data.

Because I think a percentage just tells you how much of the disk is full, relative to the size of the disk. The same piece of information that you get by glancing at the bars.

I realize that you can't tell exactly what percent of the disk is being used by the bar graphic itself, and that's why when you hover your mouse over the bar you get an exact percentage value.

And I figured, does it really matter if it's 1% or 0.1%. The point is, very little space is being used on that disk.

It's basically trying to make optimal use of the limited space in that box to give you unique information.

So that's my reasoning there :)

----

I'll see if I can add a .config option to show percentages in a future build.
  • Resident Guru
    Hi Alex, I think what Paaland is trying to convey is that:

* currently the bars show how much of the share is on each drive (X), compared to the size of that drive (Y).

* could there be an option to instead have the bars compare X to the total size of the share (Z).

Cheers.

• @Shane: Thank you for clearing that up.

Instead of showing drive usage I'd like it to show storage distribution (how many % of the share's data is on which drives). 
  • Covecube
    Got it.

I'll see if I can add that in the future without getting rid of the current view.