Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Indexing Causing Drive Transfer Speeds To Hault

edited March 2012 in DrivePool

G'day all,

I've just finished building a new WHS2011 machine and in the process of migrating data across.

I'm using realease 5888 of DP, along with Stablebit scanner, My Movies, and Wake on Lan as addins.

I've noticed that while it is 'Indexing' my drive transfer speeds (migrating data from a non pooled drive to a pooled drive) virtually stop.  While it's not Indexing my transfer speeds can be as high as 100Mb/S, but once the Indexing starts it plumets to 500Kb/S and less !!!!

Is there anyway to stop it from Indexing, or to give the Indexing service a much lower priority?

I'd hate to think what would happen if I was streaming a 1080p movie from the server and then the Indexing kicks in :(

Thanks

J

Comments

• RobRob
    edited March 2012 Member
    I am using 5933 and see the same issue. I am filling a second machine using TeraCopy io. "cheating and moving folders" (see previous post). Copy is from network share to network share. Transfer speeds vary from a few kb/s to 40mb/s. It seems to copy in "blocks" to the pool. A few 100MB at a time and than stalls and than picks up again. 2GB were copied in approx. 10 minutes. When I copy to a drive outside of DP, speed is back to normal (avg 70MB/s).

What can be the cause? Really indexing? If yes, what can be done?

Small update. Just tried to copy from one server to the other and the slow copy issue went away. So I only experience the same when I am copying from one drive to another within one server. Don't know if it helps, but maybe interesting for the more tech inclined people.
  • edited March 2012 Resident Guru
    Hmm. Can't find an immediately obvious way to pause Windows indexing via script. Will have to do some digging, but won't be today sorry.
  • RobRob
    Did some further digging. Man how I missed tinkering (been away from home for work for a few months).

Indexing is probably not the issue, otherwise I would have it on the other server as well (same specs, same set-up).

I tested the network adapter, but that was a dead end everything OK.

Then I started to add and remove drives one by one into and from the pool to see if maybe one of the drives was going bad. And yes drive 17 out of 18 (my luck) was the one drive halting everything. Take drive 17 out of the pool, transfer speeds normal. Add it back in transfer speeds grind to a halt. I now swapped it with another drive and all seems fine. By the way SB Scanner, did not show anything wrong with the drive.

To Jay95. Also try to look at if one of your drives is failing.