Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Reinstallation of WHS 2011 Pointers

2»

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Okay, sounds like you've got the "worst that should happen is DrivePool is unable to re-point the shares" problem (except that it hasn't shared anything in the pool, not just not the default WHS shares).

First, right now nothing on the pool drive is shared? Take the opportunity (if you wish) to change the pool drive's drive letter to something like Z or Y or P or whatever to avoid possible problems if in the future you add more drives to your server.

Then, for the default WHS shares (the ones already showing up in Dashboard:Server Folders and Hard Drives:Server Folders) follow the procedure I outlined in my previous post above:

(1) use Explorer to rename the old share's folder on the pool drive
    (2) use the "Move the folder" dashboard task to move the new share's folder to the pool
    (3) use Explorer to move the content from the old folder to the new folder on the pool drive
    (4) delete the old, empty, folder
    (5) enable duplication on the folder if you want it.

Finally, for the custom shares (the ones not showing up as shared) use "Add a folder" (NOT "Add a folder to the Pool") and "Browse" to each folder on the drivepool drive that you want to share again. Fill in the share name, next, set access rights, done, then enable duplication if you want it.

That should (I hope) be it.
  • Thanks for the help to everyone. A how to once Alex has the time will be great.Never worried until this happened and now I have kept the info just in case. Don't see going to a smaller drive again for the system disk.

Info from everyone in this thread really helped. Did find myself doing several reboots to clear old data that no one talked about. Hopefully if something happens I can do this from a system bkup.

KCJACK