Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Migration from Drivebender finally complete

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
Got all the things cleaned up, my pool recreated with stablebit now instead of drivebender, and everything in its place and shared.

Only downside so far is it appears you can only duplicate at the root of a share, not individual folder within as I could in drivebender.

BUT....

I've been dealing with frustration since I got drivebender with slow directory enumerations over the network, lags when doing 30 second skips via my Windows 7 Media Center computer, and corruption of data.  Anything I copied over the network to the drivebender pool would be corrupted - say an MKV of a TV show, during playback, inside of 30 seconds it would always, every single time, be horked, and either error out, or skip to like the 2 minute mark.  If I copied to a non pool drive, then just copied it via RDP locally on the WHS 2011 server from the non pool drive to the final location, it was fine.  So never any corruption unless copying directly to the pool over the network, then it did it every single time.  So for a few months that's how I've had to do it - two copies, first from my laptop to the local C drive on the server, then via the server from its C drive to its pool.

Now I am again able to copy directly to the target media folder over the network and there's no issue.

Browsing my movies via the Mediabrowser plugin would get very laggy - I have just over 1790 movies in it now, and skipping through to find something wasn't very quick most of the time.  This is all being done over gigabit.

So today while at work I was remoted into my server finalizing my data recovery to the new pool, and finally got everything finished.  Got home, fired things up, and started testing.

Everything that was causing me problems on drivebender is no longer an issue.  Speed is great for me, no lags, 30 second skips are instantaneous whether on MKV TV shows, 1080 movie rips, or just AVI's and MP4's of home movies.  Multimedia file copies are working without any corruption.

Browsing over the network is much quicker, with the delay for the movie folders acceptable considering the number of folders there.

All in all, I'm very happy with the testing so far.  Thanks for the people who answered some of my other questions about the process of the migration, and thanks to the developers.  It will be nice to not have as much frustration as I've had lately when I'm using my systems here.

J

Comments

• edited April 2012 Member
    Interesting to see someone move from DB, as Ive been using it for a few months, and have had 2 almost catastrophic issues which nearly lost my media collection.  However, when the pool was running, I never experienced any lagging like you describe.  I have a 2 disk 3tb pool, which is nearly 2tb full.  The only "lag" i experience is due tothe drives powering down when not in use (due to them being so called "green"!), so when you try to play something, you can hear the disks spin up, then the file will play about 20 seconds after selecting it...

Looking at DP, I think I will give it a go, as from what I have read, it seems to have a much more simple approach, which, hopefully, in the vent of any issues, is easier to manage.
  • I tried DB and found it extremely difficult to use. DrivePool although took me some time to get my head around is far better interface and logical. Tech support are great although I probably should have found the forums earlier rather than keep questioning Tech Support.
  • I had so many issues with Drivebender.  As with DocPlasma I nearly lost everything twice!  I ended up having to restore manually from 6TB of backup which i was lucky enough to have taken before.  StableBit is much much better.  I have had zero problems and have stopped worrying about what might happen at any moment.  Thank you!