Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Can i do this with DrivePool

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
Hi, i am just about to install DrivePool and wondered if what i want to do is possible and if anyone could tell me how or point me in a direction where i can learn how ;)

I've migrated from WHS v1 and all my hdd's are full, can't afford a new blank hdd at the moment and thought if i just added all my drives to the pool i could then 'move' the data from the old DE folders to the new Pool? Is this possible? Is there a certain file structure that i can just move the data into in the newly created drivepool folder.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2012 Resident Guru
    Yes you can do exactly that
  • Thank you saitoh183.
    I tried it and everything added to pool ok but when i try and move the data from the DE folders to the pool it tells me i dont have enough room in the pool.
    On one of the drives with a bit more free room there are server shares in the drivepool folder, but on the other drives there isn't (just the drivepool folder).
    Do i just create them manually, copying the folder structure from the other drive and move the data in them?

Thanks.

• Resident Guru
    Did you do a Move or a Copy? From ..\Share\DE\your data  To  D:\( which is your pool drive)
  • I did a move, I think I've sorted it now bar a permissions issue possibly.
    I just created the folders on each drive in the drivepool folder to match the ones that had been created on the first drive. Moved data from the DE folders, was very quick and when I access the pooled folder over the network everything is there.
    I hope this is the right way :-bd
  • Just to add regarding the approach of moving data directly into the PoolPart folders on the physical drives... I've done this, various others have done it, it appears to work, BUT it's not the supported method of moving files into the pool. I would advise having duplication switched off, and only turn it on if required after moving the files.
  • Yep i'd turned off duplication, and like you said it appears to work. The only issue i might have is what should the permissions be on the individual folders in the drivepool folder if any. I noticed that the one drive that had the folder structure on it before i started moving data had various permissions set. It doesn't now and i didn't change this myself. I just wish i'd had another blank drive to do it properly first time   :D
  • edited April 2012 Resident Guru
    To set friendly (not original, but WHS/DP friendly) permissions on a folder:

* use Explorer to view the folder on the DP drive
    * bring up its context menu (usually right-click), go to Properties, Security tab, Advanced, Owner, Edit
    * choose Administrators, tick Replace, then OK, OK, OK, OK
    * again bring up its context menu, go to Properties, Security tab, Advanced, this time Change Permissions
    * remove all non-inherited permissions, tick Include and tick Replace, then OK, Yes, OK, OK
    * check that the inherited permissions now include SYSTEM and Administrators, both Full Control.
    * if not, add them.

If the above folder is also shared (this does not include a sub-folder of another shared folder):

* use Dashboard to view the folder's properties
    * change the Sharing permissions to None for all, apply, then change them to what you want and apply.

• Many thanks Shane, all working great.