Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Pool consistency question

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
I've just recently purchased an HP N40L Microserver and WHS 2011 with the intent to migrate from my current Lenovo D400 running WHSv1. I've got Drivepool installed and it looks fantastic. I've been migrating data from my backups to the pool, and everything looks fine, except that my "Pool condition" bar is at 99.8%, and I'm showing 11.4GB as "Unavailable for duplication", even after running the manual consistency check multiple times. I've run a manual check of the files on my drives and they all appear to be duplicated, so is that something I need to worry about? I enabled advanced logging but I don't see any errors.

Comments

• Covecube
    Nothing to worry about.

It just means that the file layout is such that 0.2% of your pool's available space can't be used to store duplicated files, at this time. Note that this figure changes in real-time as you add and remove files and especially as you add more disks.

Simple example:

2 hard drives in the pool:
    • 100 GB - Holding one 10 GB file
    • 100 GB - Holding one 15 GB file
    Here you have 85 GB of free space for duplicated files. Note that 5 GB is unusable.

Also, the pooled files cannot be reorganized or re-balanced in order to make more space available for duplication.

This gets a lot more complicated when you consider different types of files, non-pooled vs. pooled and duplicated vs. non duplicated and the number and different sizes of your disks.

DrivePool does the math and that's what you see in the Pool condition.