Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

DrivePool and TeamDrive Personal Server

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
Has anyone had any experience of running TeamDrive Personal Server on WHS with it files (monitored files, database and config file) in the pool?

I haven't yet installed it as I am waiting for a reply to some questions from them but it is basically a Dropbox type product but allows the data to be on your own hardware (in my case I want it on my WHS server) rather than in the cloud on their servers.  I most want automatic synchronisation to ensure members of my family always have the most up-to-date version of any monitored file - I don't need web access as WHS provides that anyway.

Does anyone know of a similar product that works with DrivePool and WHS that provides automatic synchronisation and doesn't need to put files/data into the cloud?

Thanks

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hmm. I've been looking for something similar. As you note, Dropbox and the rest would be nice if only they also allowed self-hosted storage rather than insisting on having your files on their servers (encrypted or not).

Tonido looks interesting - http://www.tonido.com - but I haven't had the chance to play with it yet. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I also looked at Tonido (I will look again as you have mentined it and I would be grateful if you would keep us informed as to your progress) but it still needs an ID on their web site (as does TeamDrive). What happens if your internet connection goes down - does that mean your local data is in danger of not be synched?

There is also: http://lifehacker.com/5821145/how-to-set-up-a-file+syncing-dropbox-clone-you-control where it is all self-contained but I haven't got further than researching the options.

Why not use Microsofts Skydrive? They just release new versions of the program (Windows, OS X, Windows Phone and iOS clients available)
    Just installed it on my test WHS, only thing is I can't select a folder in the pool but I must add the pool itself is giving me problems on it's own, will fix that and try again (haven't used my test rig for too long probably, the trial license seems expired)

Cheers,

Danee

Ok, fixed the pool (trial was expired, re-installed drivepool) and was able to point Skydrive to E:\ServerFolders where it created a subfolder Skydrive (which cannot be changed) I just shared that folder to make it showup in the dashboard and added the desired users, All seems to function well.

Cheers,

Danee

I thought that the MS SkyDrive stores my data on their servers - not what I want.
    Tonido seems to have a very small limit of free auto-sync space (250MB).
    There is also MS Live Mesh but it seems it requires access to the internet to login with your Windows Live ID.
    GoodSync seems to have the ability to have everything within your LAN and not require an account on their servers (the manual is not clear to me on what is installed where).

Although this may not be appropriate for the DrivePool discussions (more for WHS itself), I suppose that question is - does duplicating the database/files under DrivePool cause any issues?

Well, SkyDrive replaced Live Mesh and Live Mesh had the ability to use it as a sync service only, but I must say I can't find that in SkyDrive anymore.

Seems like SkyDrive is not what you're looking for indeed.

Cheers,

Danee

Windows Live Mesh 2011 replaced Windows Live Toolbar and Windows Live Sync (31 March 2011).  Skydrive was going to be scrapped at the same time but MS decided to keep it and allow Live Mesh to sync to it.

Live Mesh does allow syncing of folders to Skydrive and to other PCs but I don't think it does it automatically.

Ah, Ok, I thought Live Mesh was going to be scrapped, and al functionality was going to be moved to SkyDrive.