Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Duplication question on new server

edited April 2012 in DrivePool
Just upgraded to WHS 2011 and trying out Drivepool which looks good so far. One question I have about folder/file duplication. If I create a folder which doesn't have duplication turned on and copy files into it, If I decide later to turn duplication on, will it duplicate the existing files in the folder or will it only start duplicating new files copied in after duplication is turned on?

Thanks.

Ken

Comments

• And of course, actually re-reading the front page answers my question!

In terms of speed, for my initial copy of about 100gb of files, should I copy them into a pooled folder first and then turn duplication on and let the files duplicate in the background while the server is idle, or have duplication turned on from the start or is there any significant difference?
  • Resident Guru
    In terms of speed? Except for edge cases that may crop up if you have a pool consisting of some slow and some fast drives, or a bunch of drives connected via a slow usb port, etc, which would have to be dealt with on individual basis, I shouldn't think so.