Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Cannot enable shadow copy on this hard drive

edited May 2012 in DrivePool

I receive this message after moving each of my HDD to the Pool.

OK, or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Not Supported
    =============
    * Shadow copies are not supported on the pool.

http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/ChangeLog?Platform=whs2

:)
  • edited May 2012 Member
  • edited May 2012 Member

Not supported, I assume, because that technology is supplanted by the Pool capabilities itself?

IOW, Shadow Copies are not necessary?

Thanks.

• Resident Guru
    Well you could say that. Since there is a duplication function, Shadow copy isnt really needed
    I don't agree, shadow copies is time related, you can restore previous versions, duplication just protects against hardware failures, not changes/deletes.

Cheers,

Danee
    You can still have shadow copies on each individual drive, just not on the pool drive itself. That would in effect be "double shadowed" since the files are physically located on the individual drive and is shadow copied there.

• edited May 2012 Resident Guru
    In a nutshell, DrivePool provides file-level redundancy (plus drive aggregation) while Shadow Copy provides block-level snapshots.

For more info on Shadow Copy, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

So whats the right answer?  Can you enable shadow copy on each drive and have drive pool running?  Is there a reason we shouldnt?  Will it have a negative effect on our data?

Thanks

• Resident Guru
    As I understand it, Shadow Copy (SC) interacts with DrivePool (DP) as follows:

* SC's snapshots take up space on an SC-enabled drive. This is, therefore, space that DP won't have available.

* SC takes snapshots, by default, at 7am and 12pm Monday through Friday. These are, therefore, times when other applications - such as DP - will have reduced performance if reading or writing to the SC-enabled drive.

* SC's maximum space and SC's scheduled times can each be configured separately on each drive via the Shadow Copies tab on the drive's Properties page.

* SC will not prevent DP from operating, and DP will not prevent SC from operating.
  • Resident Guru
    * If you wish to recover a deleted or past version of a file from the DrivePool, it may be recoverable if its physical location was on a Shadow Copy-enabled drive and Shadow Copy had taken a snapshot of that file. This will depend on the drive's Shadow Copy configuration, space available, etcetera, etcetera.

* If you do recover a file via Shadow Copy, DrivePool will treat the recovered file as it would any other file. If you recover the file to its original location, and duplication was enabled for its folder tree, DrivePool's consistency checking will flag the file as un-duplicated when it next checks the file.