Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Using WHS Backup with Drive Pool

edited May 2012 in DrivePool
Hey guys, moved from v1 to WHS 2011 and am running Drive Pool.  So far it seems great but I do have a question.  I have 5 drives in my box, and had intended to use them in this manner:

C/D:  OS drive on C partition, D partition is for client backups and CrashPlan backups.  This drive NOT in pool
E, F, G:  all 2TB drives in Pool
H: 2TB drive purely for WHS backups
P: This is the Pool drive

When I get to the point in the WHS Backup wizard where I'm asked to pick the folders I want to backup, the Pooled drive (P in my case) is not listed.  It shows my 3 pooled drives (E,F,G) but those all contain portions of my overall data right?  Any guesses as to why the Pooled drive doesn't show up in the wizard?  

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi alexB, the ultra-short version is DrivePool is an abstraction layer (software) and the Backup Wizard only works with physical drives (hardware).

You can still tell the Wizard to backup your E,F,G drives (or parts thereof) but:

* the Wizard has a hard 2TB limit regardless of the size of your backup drive.
    * if you want to only back up certain folders within the drivepool folders on those drives, rather than all of the drivepool folders, you potentially risk missing files if you use the Wizard to do this (since it can't see the pool).
    * if you do backup all of the drivepool folders with the Wizard, it'll "double up" on duplicated folders (since it can't see the pool).
    Thanks Shane.  That's too bad, it would be nice to be able to backup a few select folders in the pool.  I just installed crashplan on this machine and it DOES see the pool so I guess I can use that instead.  Thanks,