Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Balancing the Pool

edited June 2012 in DrivePool
I have added 3 drives with files on to the pool. All is working as expected, except that the pool says it is 100% balanced, which it is far from being. I am running the beta version 6008, How do I balance the pool please?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    If it's still having this problem, you could try to remeasure the pool (WHS Dashboard, StableBit DrivePool, Remeasure - you may need to scroll down) or have it do a consistency check (WHS Dashboard, Server Folders, Pool tab, click your pool drive, click Check duplication consistency).

6008 is the current non-beta release version, btw.
    Thanks Shane, I tried your suggestions but nothing has changed, By the way I have no duplication. Noted, regarding release version.
  • Note that "balancing the pool" does not mean: Make sure the data is equally distributed on all my drives.

It means: Make sure that all my duplicated folders are stored on at least two separate physical drives (but only have two copies of any single file). Move data between my drives if needed if that makes more free space available for duplication.

If you have two drives in your system and have duplication turned on. DP will duplicate the data across both drives. If you add another empty drive the pool will still be 100% balanced even thou one drive is empty and the other two are not. When you add new data to the pool it will be placed on the drive with the largest amount of free space and duplicated to the other two. 

Only as free space on the original two drives fall below a threshold will DP start moving data around in order to maximize the "duplicable" free space.

Did that make sense?
    Very succinctly put Paaland. I hadn,t realised that, thank you for making it clear.