Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Server Folders show as there with X MB in them but say they are empty when you try to open/read them

edited June 2012 in DrivePool
Many but not all server folders are showing a weird thing.  I have made no changes to DP in months but now some folders are showing as there and their properties say they have say 20MB in them but if you try to open or view them the say "This folder is empty".  How can a folder have 20MB in it and be empty at the same time?!  These are mostly pictures which I would really like to get back.  I have not changed permissions, as far as I know.  System, administrator and folder owner? (gives the name of the folder as a user) all have read/write or full control.  I can not see the contents by Dashboard, RDP or directly from the  server itself (keyboard & monitor)  It seems WHS2011 is blocking me from seeing the contents of my own folders.  The server folders are all in the pool, they have been for months.  A reboot has done no good.  The server has updated itself a few times, (Microsoft update)  A folder copied from the server to my computer gives the same behavior, it's like some setting was changed on these folders, but I don't know how.  Can anyone help me with this?  I'm stumped.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi, had any luck with this? Have you tried selecting "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and also unticking "Show protected operating system files" in Explorer (Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced settings) to see if the files become visible?
  • Hi!

This is probably not what is going on, but just a thought - how long are you waiting for the files to appear?   I have noticed that lately, it sometimes takes upwards of 20-30 seconds for the files to appear in any given share.  Explorer doesn't lock up (not responding) or anything like that, it just looks empty - then all of a sudden everything shows up.

Maybe open the folder and let it sit?   Again, just a thought, based on a quirk I've noticed lately!
  • Thank you Shane, the show hidden files and folds had been unselected somehow and all the folders were showing up but none of the contents.  Don't know how that happened, not something I would have done.  Checking the box in folder options restored everything.  Funny how a simple error can seem so weird and complex if you can't figure it out.  Thanks again for the shove my brain needed.