Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

thumbs.db files always seem to cause duplication errors

edited June 2012 in DrivePool
Hey everyone!

Just about every time I check on my pool, I see 50% on the "pool condition" indicator.   The problem always seems to be some sort of duplication error, and a list of anywhere from one to a dozen "thumbs.db" files in various folders across the pool.  I have it fix the error, and everything comes back fine initially, but the error always returns.   Anyone else see this, or know what I can do about it?

Thanks!   LOVING Drivepool.  16 disks, 19.3 TB total pool, 13 folders, 7.2 TB of duplicated files, and this is the ONLY problem I've had in at least 2 months.   Bravo, Alex!!!

Ron

Comments

• I'm betting this is due to Windows explorer having directories open on client machines which are trying to create thumbs.db files, or modify them, while duplication is running.

Turn off thumbnail creation on your client PCs and the problem should go away would be my guess.
  • I thought that, too.  Though I wonder (and I'm just thinking "out loud" :-) ) how my HTPC accessing and/or modifying a "thumbs.db" file is different than, let say, Windows Live Photo Gallery accessing and/or modifying a picture file?    My guess is that you're right, but it seems that there should eventually be a way for DrivePool to be able to handle this w/o throwing up errors!

Again, this is VERY picky!    Great stuff, and we are down to the nitty gritty!