Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Delay in access to Pooled Drives at boot

edited August 2012 in DrivePool
With both "release" versions, I have noticed a 1-2 minute delay during the boot process. It appears the system is waiting for the pooled drives to be available. Is this expected behavior, or is there something I can do to reduce the delay? My OS is on an SSD that gets partway through booting very quickly, then there is a lengthy delay which seems to involve waiting for the drive pool with no ability to launch applications or access data on the drive pool, and then the boot process finished and everything works normally. My pooled drives are 4 2 TB WDC RE-4s. Thanks.

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Can anyone else with a SSD as their WHS system drive confirm (or not confirm) this?
  • I dont have this issue.  My server boots in seconds, i have a 128 gb SSD for my boot/os drive and 5 2tb drives in my pool + 1 external 2tb for backups.
  • My 128GB SSD server also boots in seconds with full access to shared pooled folders. I've a combination of 5 HDDs of 1 and 2 TB in the pool. No issue either.
  • I have noticed a 2-4 minute delay but that's for the network access. I can't access the pool or rdp into the server. Pool seems to be ok at boot using an HDD.
  • Thanks for the responses. Mine seems hung up at network access, which also seems to be delaying the drive pool service starting as well. Do you have any idea what the network access issue is, kidde, and how to reduce the delay?
  • @kidde
    I too have a delay of about 2-4 minutes after a boot that my server is not accessible via network or RDP. It starts responding to ping straight away and even SSH. But SMB (network file access) and RDP are very slow to start. If it has anything to do with DP or not I'm not sure. 
  • Are the drives connected to the motherboard? Is it an Intel motherboard?