Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

Missing drive from pool

edited August 2012 in DrivePool
My server sent me a message last night while I slept that I had a drive overheating.  Then this morning I also got a message that the backup was not complete.  When I checked it out the backup ran for all drives except one that is in the drivepool.  I also found that that drive was missing from the drivepool and it was the same drive that overheated.  We are experiencing high temps (who isn't) and I have a fan on the drives I have.  The drive temps range from 41C to the problem one of 53C.  The older drives are the warmer.  These are external USB drives.  I unplugged the USB cable and replugged it but this did nothing.  I then removed power from the drive and repowered it.  It spun up and proceeded to go through a process of duplicating.

My question is this, was this the right thing to do and will it harm data or my drivepool?

Comments

• edited August 2012 Member
    I'd suggest replacing that drive, and look at ways to get the drives cooler.  Heat is the #1 enemy of hard drives.