Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Our Sites

covecube.com 
community.covecube.com 
blog.covecube.com 
wiki.covecube.com 
bitflock.com 
stablebit.com 

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In order to better support our growing community we've set up a new more powerful forum.

The new forum is at: http://community.covecube.com

The new forum is running IP.Board and will be our primary forum from now on.

This forum is being retired, but will remain online indefinitely in order to preserve its contents. This forum is now read only.

Thank you,

totally lost as to how to set up drivepool

edited August 2012 in DrivePool

I am trying to setup/install drivepool. I have added a new HD and have an existing 2TB one I have an eSATA drive used for the server backups. In Dashboard backups says there are said to be no backups running on This drive, But shows m that has a mixture of data and other folders, Client Computer Backups I take it when WHS2011 was installed, Client Computer Backups, System Volume Information.
When I run drivepool it refuses to add this drive to the pool so I am left with the pool, being just the newly added drive.
I am a bit lost, my idea was to create a mirror of this drive so give a automatic back up, But all I can add is the data folders and as the drive they are on can’t be added to the pool I don’t dare do that even as it very unclear if they will be being mirrored or just moved.
Can someone help please as to To my frustration Drive Pool lists as addable my D which is the current location for some of the data and data that is on the WHS2011 backp list?
Also is it just me as I am finding the fourm almost unusable when trying to edit?

Comments

• Resident Guru
    Hi john7,

A standard install of WHS splits the operating system's drive into two partitions, C: [System] (for windows, program files, etcetera) and D: [Data] (for your client backup folders and shared documents/pictures/music/video folders, etcetera).

DrivePool does not allow you to add the C: [System] partition, nor does it allow you to add a drive that is being used for the Server Backups (not to be confused with Client Backups). It should still allow you to add the D: [Data] partition, as well as any other drives you add to the server (so long as they are formatted with a NTFS partition).

If I understand you correctly, you have three drives: the operating system's drive (split into C and D), the new drive (what letter is it?), and the server backup drive (which should not have a drive letter). You should be able to add both D: and the new drive to the pool, then move your shared data folders across to the pool, and then you should be able to change the duplication level of the shared data folders.

On the Dashboard, under "Server Folders and Hard Drives", there should be a "Pool" tab with three parts: drives in the pool, drives that can be added to the pool and drives that are being used for server backup that cannot be added to the pool.

Does this help?
  • I  have 3 internal drives and a 4th one a eSATA . One devided by 2011 into as you say C and D. F is an existing 3TB drive that has some data and Client Computer Backups and System Volume Information on it and a new 2TB labelled G. The eSATA is unlabelled in dashboard but I take it that’s E. The only drives Drive Pool would add to the pool were D and G (creating H). But what I was hoping to create was a mirror of F. it stop 2011 backing up the data on D and move the data from D onto F. Creating a mirror of all the folders on F.  But it looks as if its going to be much more complex than that!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As an interim I am using Syncovery (used to do overnight backups over the web to another server)to monitor and copy changes to D and F onto G, So far its working so maybe I am best to just stay with that

• Resident Guru
    Does F drive appear in the "Not in pool/Drives that can be added to the pool" section?

If so, what message(s) do you get when attempting to add F: to the pool?
  • It was in can't be added and can't tell you the error (I don't think it did have one) now as program uninstalled now.
  • Resident Guru
    I'd suspect F is a "dynamic" disk; if so, and if you chose to reinstall DrivePool in the future and wished to add it, you would need to convert it to a "basic" disk first (which depending on your skill/tools would require moving the existing data on it to another drive / into the pool first).
  • Thanks I think I will stay ith what was my plamn B which is working.